AER Lingus has defended another increase in the cost of checking in a bag when travelling to and from several European destinations.
It will now cost an extra €10 per bag on flights to and from Spain, Italy and Greece.
It comes just four months after the Irish airline imposed the exact same price hike.
It will now cost €35 per bag each way, meaning a family of four travelling to and from Spain would have to fork out an extra €280 just for their suitcases, compared to just €120 last year.
A spokeswoman said the cost of checked baggage is now determined by the distance travelled with the three categories labelled Near, Mid and Far.
“New baggage fees have been introduced for bookings made from March 28th.
“While guests travelling to mid and far destinations incur higher baggage fees, guests travelling to near destinations in fact are paying 40 per cent less when compared to baggage fees at the same time last year.”
Over 30 destinations qualify as ‘near’ including all UK destinations, Paris, Brussels and Amsterdam.
“Guests travelling on these routes total nearly six million annually and make up over 58 per cent of our short haul guests total. These ‘near’ guests will pay just €15 for 15kg bag. Guests travelling on ‘mid’ routes to the likes of Alicante, Lisbon, Rome etc. will be charged a higher fee or €35 for 15kg bag. Equally those travelling further afield to ‘far’ destinations such as Corfu, Pula, Lanzarote will pay €50 for 15kg.”
- Marbella has never lost its charm – in fact it’s only getting better, writes Laurence Dollimore - 26 May, 2019 @ 10:00
- IN PICS: New Gibraltar property development to rival London’s Mayfair - 24 May, 2019 @ 09:52
- Agnese Klavina’s family to take case to Supreme Court after ‘shock verdict’ sees Marbella based Brits accused of kidnap ‘walk free’ on lesser charge - 23 May, 2019 @ 13:38
- REVEALED: Majority of Andalucia’s El Corte Ingles stores in the red while Marbella and Malaga the ONLY Costa del Sol outlets to return a profit - 23 May, 2019 @ 11:07
- BUSTED: €600 million empire which trafficked drugs into the UK and laundered money into Spain’s property market - 22 May, 2019 @ 18:38
- British most obsessed with doggy-style while Spain loves ‘cuckolding’, as new study reveals world’s sexual preferences - 22 May, 2019 @ 17:36
- WARNING: Multi-day heatwaves and life threatening temperatures coming to Spain this summer - 22 May, 2019 @ 16:25
- WE’VE GOT THE POWER: Dozens of expats fill up the ballot lists for vital local elections in Spain’s Andalucia - 22 May, 2019 @ 13:12
- HAY FEVER EPIDEMIC: Expert reveals why your allergies seem much worse in Spain this year - 22 May, 2019 @ 12:47
- Liverpool FC brings extreme security measures to Marbella football training ground ahead of Champions League final - 22 May, 2019 @ 10:35