A SCULPTOR whose statue of Cristiano Ronaldo was blasted by football fans has come out in defence of his artwork.
Artist Emanuel Santos said the bronze bust was not ‘as simple as it seems’ to create.
It received widespread condemnation from fans around the world after it was revealed on the Portugese island of Madeira, where the airport was being named after the Real Madrid striker.
“It is impossible to please the Greeks and Trojans. Neither did Jesus please everyone,” Santos said.
He added that it took him 15 days to complete and that the piece was a ‘matter of taste’.
“Cristiano saw the photos that his brother sent him,” Santos told broadcaster Globo.
“I was with his brother at Cristiano’s museum in Madeira and from the messages he sent, I could tell that he liked what he saw.”
Santos said Ronaldo had asked him to make minor changes in order to make him look younger.
“He only asked for some wrinkles that gave him a certain expression in his face when he’s about to laugh to be changed,” he said.
- Expat Marbella couple held in prison on drug and money laundering charges ‘may have links to Finland’s Hells Angels’ as more details emerge - 19 Jul, 2019 @ 15:13
- IN THE NICK OF TIME: Irish man arrested at Malaga airport check-in desk donning €28,000 Rolex he reported as robbed in Marbella a day earlier - 19 Jul, 2019 @ 12:41
- Expat stumbles upon TWO sets of human remains on Spain’s Costa del Sol during morning stroll - 19 Jul, 2019 @ 12:15
- Conservative deputy mayor arrested after police find HUNDREDS of marijuana plants growing in his home in Spain’s Andalucia - 18 Jul, 2019 @ 17:13
- Expat Marbella restaurant owner and bikini-model girlfriend arrested on money laundering and drug charges as Costa del Sol home raided - 18 Jul, 2019 @ 16:09
- MUST READ: How to survive a rip current following deaths of two swimmers on Costa del Sol beach - 16 Jul, 2019 @ 11:43
- Man becomes second to die off Costa del Sol beach in just 15 days - 15 Jul, 2019 @ 16:35
- BRACE YOURSELVES: Hot winds to bring temperatures of up to 39C on Spain’s Costa del Sol TODAY - 15 Jul, 2019 @ 10:27
- WATCH: Stingray capable of killing humans spotted on shore metres from children on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 13 Jul, 2019 @ 09:13
- British expats arrested and fined in new crackdown on ‘pirate taxis’ at Malaga airport - 11 Jul, 2019 @ 14:31