MPs in the lower house have voted to create an investigative commission into the allegations.
The commission will investigate the possible ‘existence of different networks of irregular donations, the awarding of public contracts and other mechanisms of irregular funding.’
It comes after Luis Barcenas, a former PP treasurer and one of the many ex-PP lawmakers on trial for corruption, said publicly that Rajoy’s party had a slush fund.
Investigators will also be ascertaining how much the party benefited from PP MPs who offered public contracts for bribes.
The EU has blasted corruption in Spain in recent times, and has labelled Andalucia as the most corrupt region in Spain.
A series of corruption scandals has caused popularity for the PP to wane, with Rajoy being forced to rule with a minority government after his party failed to win an overwhelming majority of votes.
- THERE’LL BE KILLINGS: Cadiz drug trafficker warns of BAZOOKAS and bodies on the streets if crackdown on smuggling across Strait of Gibraltar continues - 19 Apr, 2019 @ 13:10
- Irish company launches lifesaving ‘hangover care package’ for expats in Spain - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 12:09
- ‘WE’RE TERRIFIED’: Brother of missing British father who vanished from Spain’s Costa del Sol with son speaks out - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 11:29
- Drones which can photograph drivers using their mobile phone from 2km away launched in Spain TODAY - 17 Apr, 2019 @ 17:33
- BREAKING: Police arrest jihadist planning ‘massacre’ at Semana Santa parade in Spain’s Andalucia - 17 Apr, 2019 @ 15:52
- PREDATOR drones from US to patrol Strait of Gibraltar and Cadiz coast as Spain’s Guardia Civil fear surge in drug and people smuggling this summer - 17 Apr, 2019 @ 13:52
- Marbella’s iconic Villa Padierna hotel which hosted Michelle Obama changing hands - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 17:40
- Max Beach will reopen on Spain’s Costa del Sol this week with new look and night time venue planned for summer - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 17:06
- Bomb threat in Madrid declared false alarm as workers told they can return to work - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 14:16
- Bomb threat sees thousands evacuated from Madrid skyscraper home to British embassy - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 13:49