MPs in the lower house have voted to create an investigative commission into the allegations.
The commission will investigate the possible ‘existence of different networks of irregular donations, the awarding of public contracts and other mechanisms of irregular funding.’
It comes after Luis Barcenas, a former PP treasurer and one of the many ex-PP lawmakers on trial for corruption, said publicly that Rajoy’s party had a slush fund.
Investigators will also be ascertaining how much the party benefited from PP MPs who offered public contracts for bribes.
The EU has blasted corruption in Spain in recent times, and has labelled Andalucia as the most corrupt region in Spain.
A series of corruption scandals has caused popularity for the PP to wane, with Rajoy being forced to rule with a minority government after his party failed to win an overwhelming majority of votes.
- MUST READ: How to survive a rip current following deaths of two swimmers on Costa del Sol beach - 16 Jul, 2019 @ 11:43
- Man becomes second to die off Costa del Sol beach in just 15 days - 15 Jul, 2019 @ 16:35
- BRACE YOURSELVES: Hot winds to bring temperatures of up to 39C on Spain’s Costa del Sol TODAY - 15 Jul, 2019 @ 10:27
- WATCH: Stingray capable of killing humans spotted on shore metres from children on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 13 Jul, 2019 @ 09:13
- British expats arrested and fined in new crackdown on ‘pirate taxis’ at Malaga airport - 11 Jul, 2019 @ 14:31
- BREAKING: Body washes up on beach near Marbella’s exclusive Golden Mile - 11 Jul, 2019 @ 14:05
- HE’S THE DADDY: Court rules Javier Santos IS the love child of Spanish superstar Julio Iglesias - 10 Jul, 2019 @ 18:01
- ‘WRONG MESSAGE’: Young man who accidentally killed drug addict while stopping him from robbing helpless cleaner on Spain’s Costa del Sol given two-year prison sentence and HUGE fine - 9 Jul, 2019 @ 12:37
- British giant Virgin Trains eyes up moving into Spain market after UK becomes ‘uninvestable’ - 9 Jul, 2019 @ 11:49
- Expert says southern Spain and Balearics at ‘great risk’ of tsunamis but authorities ‘are not prepared’ - 9 Jul, 2019 @ 11:19