SPANISH foreign minister Alfonso Dastis has chimed in on the Gibraltar row and called for the UK to calm down.
Over the weekend, former conservative party leader Lord Michael Howard likened the situation to the Falklands, and implied that Theresa May would be willing to go to war over the Rock. Dastis replied to the comments this morning, saying: “Comparing Gibraltar with the Falklands is taking things out of context.
“It looks like someone in the UK is losing their composure.”
During a press conference, Dasist called for calm.
“The Spanish government is a little surprised by the tone of comments coming out of Britain, a country known for its composure,” he said.
Lord Michael Howard had said May would use the ‘same resolve’ as Margaret Thatcher did over the Falklands.
He told the Sophy Ridge show on Sky News: “There’s no question whatever that our government will stand by Gibraltar.
“Thirty-five years ago this week another woman prime minister sent a task force half way across the world to defend the freedom of another small group of British people against another Spanish speaking country.
“And I’m absolutely certain that our current prime minister will show the same resolve in standing by the people of Gibraltar.”
The ensuing row led to Theresa May personally calling Gibraltar’s Chief Minister Fabian Picardo.
She promised that the UK will ‘never enter into arrangements’ on sovereignty against its will.
No 10 said she ‘reiterated our long-standing position that the UK remains steadfastly committed to our support for Gibraltar, its people and its economy’.
And Defence Secretary Sir Michael Fallon promised Gibraltar it will be ‘protected all the way’ through the Brexit talks.
- British girl, 9, dies on Spain’s Costa del Sol ‘after eating ice cream’ - 20 Feb, 2019 @ 09:03
- WATCH: ANOTHER Marbella chiringuito burned to the ground - 19 Feb, 2019 @ 16:47
- BREXIT UPDATE: Spain offers further assurances to British expats after meeting with campaigners - 19 Feb, 2019 @ 13:21
- TRAGIC APPEAL: British expat dad ‘drops dead’ at 39 leaving fiance and two children in desperate need on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 18 Feb, 2019 @ 14:49
- P**S TAKER: You can now pee in Donald Trump’s mouth thanks to expat bar owner in Spain - 18 Feb, 2019 @ 14:17
- Irish dog walker stumbles upon dead dolphin washed up on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 18 Feb, 2019 @ 13:33
- BREAKING: British airline goes into administration with ALL flights to Europe cancelled, cites Brexit as major factor - 16 Feb, 2019 @ 20:10
- WATCH: New Marbella Arena to host string of ‘international artists’ and events this summer after signing deal with global events company - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 15:06
- ‘ABSOLUTE CHAOS’: Ryanair flight from Glasgow to Malaga diverted after violent ‘hen party brawl’ - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 13:37
- War to be waged against plastic in Gibraltar following deaths of ‘magnificent’ birds - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 11:18