AN expat war hero has been left devastated after thieves stole his priceless military medals.
David Russell, 70, is appealing to locals to keep an eye out for his trio of gongs, which include a Queen’s Jubilee medal, a Gulf War medal and a Northern Ireland General Service medal.
Russell, who was a captain on the HMS Sheffield during the Gulf War, had the valuable awards stolen in a burglary at his house in Manilva.
His wife, former British model Sally Russell, 74, also lost a string of priceless heirlooms during the late night raid last month.
During the three hours they were out, thieves blew their safe off the wall and stole an estimated €50,000-worth of jewellery and cameras.
However, it was a sapphire-encrusted bracelet, given to Sally during her christening-Churchill and Vera Lynn – that is most heartbreaking.
“It was absolutely horrible, they took all my priceless jewellery,” she told the
Olive Press this week.
“I have been collecting for decades and had planned to give all my pieces to my granddaughter when I pass away.”
The daughter of former BBC director-general Robert Foot added she had also lost a pocket watch that her father had acquired during his long career, which involved a spell as a lawyer in India.
He was a good friend of wartime Prime Minister Churchill, who personally offered him the role as the boss of the BBC.
“It’s not really about the money, what is most heartbreaking are my father’s items they stole,” explains Sally.
“They took his old pocket-watch which is of course absolutely irreplaceable, I’m still devastated and sickened.
“I’m so upset that someone has done this,” added Sally, who was a model for Raymond
“I really hope readers can keep an eye out for our items at various car boot sales or online over the next few months.”
Her husband (inset left), who also served during the Falklands War, added: “I just want to get my medals back as they mean a lot to me.
“I feel sick to my stomach that they are out there somewhere.“
- ‘Paedo’ football coach facing 100 YEARS behind bars for allegedly abusing 25 children in British expat hotspot near Spain’s Costa del Sol - 24 Jun, 2019 @ 16:12
- WATCH: Russian-backed ‘Mansions of Banus’ development part of €200 million portfolio penned for Marbella and Costa del Sol - 24 Jun, 2019 @ 15:20
- British man dies after falling off pedalo in Spain despite green flags indicating sea was safe - 24 Jun, 2019 @ 12:33
- UNEARTHED: First Roman olive oil press EVER on Spain’s Costa del Sol as huge archaeology park planned - 24 Jun, 2019 @ 12:17
- British sex pest arrested in Marbella for harassing young woman with barrage of sexually explicit messages - 24 Jun, 2019 @ 11:54
- Boy, 8, dies in Spain after choking on hot dog during San Juan celebrations - 24 Jun, 2019 @ 11:30
- WATCH: Expat gives hilarious guide for boozy Brits heading to Marbella (WARNING: Not for the easily offended) - 24 Jun, 2019 @ 11:02
- SHAMEFUL: ‘Racist’ effigy mocking migrants shocks expats and locals ahead of San Juan celebrations on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 24 Jun, 2019 @ 10:42
- OPINION: The Junta de Andalucia’s budgets which benefit residents are a welcome sight after decades of corruption - 23 Jun, 2019 @ 11:44
- Report warns 20% of Spain’s olive farms could disappear within a decade - 22 Jun, 2019 @ 15:05