SERGIO Garcia has finally won a major after seventy-three attempts.
After four times a runner-up, 12 top fives and 22 top tens, the 37-year-old Spaniard claimed a career-affirming victory at the Augusta National Masters in Georgia, USA.
It comes after 18 seasons of not-quites and might-have-beens which earned him the title ‘best player to never win a major.’
Five years ago, on the same green, he said: “I’m not good enough. I don’t have the thing I need to have. I’ve come to the conclusion that I need to play for second or third place.”
After falling to the back nine and looking down and out, Garcia birdied the first hole of his final round on the Sunday to go a shot clear of frontrunner and Briton Justin Rose before rolling in an eight-foot birdie on the fourth to go two clear.
“I was very calm, much calmer than yesterday (Saturday), much calmer than I’ve felt probably in any major championship,” he said.
He claimed the title in the first extra playoff hole with a 13ft putt after Rose came back to tie in the final round.
- IN PICS: The stunning 16th century estate going up for auction in Spain - 16 Jun, 2019 @ 09:07
- Fake goods costing Spain and EU billions each year - 15 Jun, 2019 @ 08:38
- Brothers cuffed after trying to stuff 11 champagne bottles down one of their tops in huge shoplifting FAIL on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 17:22
- British tourists still flocking to Spain’s Malaga as first quarter of 2019 shows almost 10% increase in hotel stays - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 17:04
- 8 things you didn’t know were ILLEGAL to do at the beach on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 12:29
- Young paedo groomed at least 10 children across Spain’s Alicante, Andalucia and Valencia and paid them for explicit images while posing as underage girl online - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 11:26
- BREAKING: Barack Obama will be in Marbella TOMORROW for secret meeting at luxury hotel - 13 Jun, 2019 @ 16:50
- IN PICS: Game of Thrones stars party it up in Spain’s Benidorm for Sophie Turner’s hen do ahead of ‘official’ marriage to Joe Jonas - 13 Jun, 2019 @ 16:20
- Gibraltar police fuming after rumours ‘falsely claim’ drunk off duty officer started late night brawl at Pig & Whistle pub - 13 Jun, 2019 @ 15:45
- How a gang sold more than €1.5 million of drugs EVERY WEEK with the help of a Breaking Bad-style family in Cadiz – and how they spent it on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 13 Jun, 2019 @ 15:13