SPAIN has shattered forecasts for Easter tourism figures this year.
Industry experts say the numbers were helped by the weather, which encouraged last-minute planners to make the most of the sunshine.
The strong results were not exclusive to the usual coastal hotspots as cities and rural enclaves also saw a soar in visitors.
Public Works Minister Inigo de la Serna said ‘things could not have gone better.’
The minister said overall occupancy rates were up 10% on last Easter.
“Our economy keeps growing, and this new push makes us optimistic about growth forecasts for the Spanish economy,” he said.
Figures released by industry group CEHAT show occupancy rates were between 85% and 90% in inland destinations, and at 90% on the coasts.
The Costa del Sol had an average occupancy rate of 83.57% while Cantabria reached 100% on Maundy Thursday and Good Friday.
At least two million Brits are thought to have travelled abroad for Easter, with the majority flocking to Spain.
It comes after a record-breaking 2016 which saw more than 75 million visitors who spent more than €75 billion in the country.
Following the booster Easter, the tourism industry is hoping to set another record this year.
- Irish company launches lifesaving ‘hangover care package’ for expats in Spain - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 12:09
- ‘WE’RE TERRIFIED’: Brother of missing British father who vanished from Spain’s Costa del Sol with son speaks out - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 11:29
- Drones which can photograph drivers using their mobile phone from 2km away launched in Spain TODAY - 17 Apr, 2019 @ 17:33
- BREAKING: Police arrest jihadist planning ‘massacre’ at Semana Santa parade in Spain’s Andalucia - 17 Apr, 2019 @ 15:52
- PREDATOR drones from US to patrol Strait of Gibraltar and Cadiz coast as Spain’s Guardia Civil fear surge in drug and people smuggling this summer - 17 Apr, 2019 @ 13:52
- Marbella’s iconic Villa Padierna hotel which hosted Michelle Obama changing hands - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 17:40
- Max Beach will reopen on Spain’s Costa del Sol this week with new look and night time venue planned for summer - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 17:06
- Bomb threat in Madrid declared false alarm as workers told they can return to work - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 14:16
- Bomb threat sees thousands evacuated from Madrid skyscraper home to British embassy - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 13:49
- BREAKING: Police continue evacuation of British embassy after alleged bomb threat on Madrid skyscraper - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 13:14