SPAIN has shattered forecasts for Easter tourism figures this year.
Industry experts say the numbers were helped by the weather, which encouraged last-minute planners to make the most of the sunshine.
The strong results were not exclusive to the usual coastal hotspots as cities and rural enclaves also saw a soar in visitors.
Public Works Minister Inigo de la Serna said ‘things could not have gone better.’
The minister said overall occupancy rates were up 10% on last Easter.
“Our economy keeps growing, and this new push makes us optimistic about growth forecasts for the Spanish economy,” he said.
Figures released by industry group CEHAT show occupancy rates were between 85% and 90% in inland destinations, and at 90% on the coasts.
The Costa del Sol had an average occupancy rate of 83.57% while Cantabria reached 100% on Maundy Thursday and Good Friday.
At least two million Brits are thought to have travelled abroad for Easter, with the majority flocking to Spain.
It comes after a record-breaking 2016 which saw more than 75 million visitors who spent more than €75 billion in the country.
Following the booster Easter, the tourism industry is hoping to set another record this year.
- Fake goods costing Spain and EU billions each year - 15 Jun, 2019 @ 08:38
- Brothers cuffed after trying to stuff 11 champagne bottles down one of their tops in huge shoplifting FAIL on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 17:22
- British tourists still flocking to Spain’s Malaga as first quarter of 2019 shows almost 10% increase in hotel stays - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 17:04
- 8 things you didn’t know were ILLEGAL to do at the beach on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 12:29
- Young paedo groomed at least 10 children across Spain’s Alicante, Andalucia and Valencia and paid them for explicit images while posing as underage girl online - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 11:26
- BREAKING: Barack Obama will be in Marbella TOMORROW for secret meeting at luxury hotel - 13 Jun, 2019 @ 16:50
- IN PICS: Game of Thrones stars party it up in Spain’s Benidorm for Sophie Turner’s hen do ahead of ‘official’ marriage to Joe Jonas - 13 Jun, 2019 @ 16:20
- Gibraltar police fuming after rumours ‘falsely claim’ drunk off duty officer started late night brawl at Pig & Whistle pub - 13 Jun, 2019 @ 15:45
- How a gang sold more than €1.5 million of drugs EVERY WEEK with the help of a Breaking Bad-style family in Cadiz – and how they spent it on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 13 Jun, 2019 @ 15:13
- Homes sealed off after explosion shatters windows more than 50 metres away on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 13 Jun, 2019 @ 11:35