THE King of Clay is returning home to Mallorca following another career milestone in Barcelona.
30-year-old Rafael Nadal won his 10th title at the Barcelona Open Banc Sabadell in a comfortable victory over Dominic Thiem, just one week after winning his 10th Monte-Carlo Rolex Masters.
He remains unbeaten in the Barcelona finals and has the best clay record than any other player from the Open Era.
He now has now won 51 clay tournaments, two ahead of previous record holder Guillermo Vilas, from Argentina.
“I’m very satisfied. It’s been an emotional day for me. Winning a 10th title here is something difficult to describe. Playing in front of my crowd and my club and winning the 10th title here is something that’s impossible to even dream of. It’s very special and unique,” said Nadal.
“I played my best match of the tournament this afternoon against probably the toughest opponent in the tournament, so I’m very happy.”
The world No.5 added: “Now is the time for me to enjoy these two weeks that are very special. I’ll go home to Mallorca and have some rest, then start to think about Madrid and Rome.
“They’re two very important events for me, so I’m excited about it.”
Nadal has sought to avoid discussing the French Open at Roland Garros, where he will be vying for his tenth title.
If victorious, he will be the first player ever to win a single major grand slam tournament ten times.
- Mercadona refuses to review security measures on Spain’s Costa del Sol after string of British expats robbed in its stores - 24 Apr, 2019 @ 13:33
- Popular drag queen attacked by group of homophobic ‘foreign’ men in gay-friendly Torremolinos - 23 Apr, 2019 @ 11:50
- British pensioner praises Spanish local for handing him €400 he unwittingly left in cash machine on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 22 Apr, 2019 @ 15:30
- REVEALED: Which Andalucian province saw a 56% boom in property sales while Costa del Sol, Alicante and Balearics suffered DROPS - 21 Apr, 2019 @ 09:03
- BREAKING: British and Spanish children ‘almost die’ after dangerous game ends in FIREBALL on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 20 Apr, 2019 @ 21:14
- British expat robbed twice in same Costa del Sol supermarket in just 10 days loses ‘priceless’ personal mementos from dead daughter - 20 Apr, 2019 @ 08:51
- THERE’LL BE KILLINGS: Cadiz drug trafficker warns of BAZOOKAS and bodies on the streets if crackdown on smuggling across Strait of Gibraltar continues - 19 Apr, 2019 @ 13:10
- Irish company launches lifesaving ‘hangover care package’ for expats in Spain - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 12:09
- ‘WE’RE TERRIFIED’: Brother of missing British father who vanished from Spain’s Costa del Sol with son speaks out - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 11:29
- Drones which can photograph drivers using their mobile phone from 2km away launched in Spain TODAY - 17 Apr, 2019 @ 17:33