ANDALUCIA has been named as one of Spain’s music festival hotspots.
The party-mad region hosts around 119 gigs each year, more than in the regions of Madrid (109), Valencia (81) and Castilla y Leon (72), the biggest autonomous community in the country.
Only Catalunya has more festivals in the country with 167, according to online ticket seller Ticketea, which compiled data from 2016.
Well over 500,000 revellers descended on Andalucia to dance their nights away at a host of concerts showcasing every musical genre from rock and punk to rap and reggae.
Alrumbo in Cadiz is the region’s biggest event, with 150,000 attendees.
Dance-heavy Dreambeach in Almeria rocked up 100,000 visitors, while 50,000 rolled into town for alternative rock event Granada Sound.
Other popular events were Jaen’s Etnosur (40,000), Weekend Beach (33,000) in Malaga and Interstelar (32,000) in Sevilla.
According to Ticketea, Andalucian festivals scored an average rating of 7.91, with 87% who attended an event last year intending to do so again in 2017.
Sevillanos are the fourth most likely to attend festivals in the whole country, followed by Granadinos in sixth place and Malaguenos in ninth place.
Ticketea also revealed that 58% of Spanish music festival goers were women, with the average age being 28.8 years-old.
Brits were the biggest foreign audience at the 970 Spanish festivals held last year.
In a poll, Ticketea said that Spanish artists were the ones most music lovers wanted to see at Spanish festivals this year.
The most popular include Lori Meyers, Juanito Makandé, Love of Lesbian, La Raíz and Fuel Fandango.
- Behind the green door: Discover Andalucia’s eco village of Los Molinos del Rio Agua - 10 Jun, 2017 @ 10:51
- TAKING THE P***: Campaign launched to move Cordoba mosque toilets because they face Mecca - 8 Jun, 2017 @ 13:01
- Groundbreaking eco Lego style plastic house factory to open in Malaga - 4 Jun, 2017 @ 11:55
- Spain has 10 of the 20 European universities most in demand by Erasmus students - 3 Jun, 2017 @ 10:45
- Malaga Council accused of falsifying hospital statistics - 30 May, 2017 @ 17:50
- Dolphins caught stealing from fishermen - 30 May, 2017 @ 16:49
- UK ELECTION: Olive Press voting guide for British expats - 28 May, 2017 @ 11:46
- Who was George Campbell, one of Andalucia’s best-loved Irish artists? - 28 May, 2017 @ 09:30
- The extraordinary life of Alexander Fleming’s granddaughter as an artist in Andalucia - 27 May, 2017 @ 09:16
- Junta commit to green energy in Andalucia - 26 May, 2017 @ 16:09