Mourinho has denied the allegations of tax evasion but a judge in Madrid will decide if the case should go to court.
The offence could carry a prison sentence of two to six years and a fine up to €20 million.
It is alleged that Mourinho defrauded the Spanish tax authorities of €3.2 million while serving as the Real Madrid manager between 2010 and 2013.
He stands accused of failing to pay more than €3 million in tax on the sale of his image rights.
Meg Hillier MP, the recent chairwoman of the public accounts select committee, believes the 54-year-old should be investigated in the UK too.
Hillier said: “Given the clear progress from the Spanish authorities, it’s vital that HMRC is taking the same level of interest.”
The Sunday Times in the UK alleges that Mourinho has avoided paying tax on £10m in image rights earnings, built up during his first spell in charge of Chelsea from 2004-07 and then at Madrid, through a series of offshore companies.
Money from the UK and Spain was transferred to Ireland and then to a shell company in the British Virgin Islands called Koper Services which is actually owned by a New Zealand trust set up by Mourinho, it claims.
Prosecutors for Madrid’s economic crime unit alleged last week that Mourinho used Koper to fabricate more than £1m in tax deductible business expenses to reduce his tax bill in Spain.
- Fake goods costing Spain and EU billions each year - 15 Jun, 2019 @ 08:38
- Brothers cuffed after trying to stuff 11 champagne bottles down one of their tops in huge shoplifting FAIL on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 17:22
- British tourists still flocking to Spain’s Malaga as first quarter of 2019 shows almost 10% increase in hotel stays - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 17:04
- 8 things you didn’t know were ILLEGAL to do at the beach on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 12:29
- Young paedo groomed at least 10 children across Spain’s Alicante, Andalucia and Valencia and paid them for explicit images while posing as underage girl online - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 11:26
- BREAKING: Barack Obama will be in Marbella TOMORROW for secret meeting at luxury hotel - 13 Jun, 2019 @ 16:50
- IN PICS: Game of Thrones stars party it up in Spain’s Benidorm for Sophie Turner’s hen do ahead of ‘official’ marriage to Joe Jonas - 13 Jun, 2019 @ 16:20
- Gibraltar police fuming after rumours ‘falsely claim’ drunk off duty officer started late night brawl at Pig & Whistle pub - 13 Jun, 2019 @ 15:45
- How a gang sold more than €1.5 million of drugs EVERY WEEK with the help of a Breaking Bad-style family in Cadiz – and how they spent it on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 13 Jun, 2019 @ 15:13
- Homes sealed off after explosion shatters windows more than 50 metres away on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 13 Jun, 2019 @ 11:35