Malquerida, a dark red brew, is designed to compliment Latino cuisine.
It comes as dishes from Mexico, Peru and Brazil are trending globally, but particularly in Spain.
“In Spanish restaurants and bars, more ceviche is typically eaten than tripe,” says Ferran Adrià, who added that the growth of Latino food is now ‘unstoppable’.
Albert, the younger of the Adria brothers, has established their gastronomic project elBarri in the Barcelona neighborhood of Paral·lel, an area where he has set up a number of restaurants already: the world-famous Tickets, vermouth bar Bodega 1900 and the cutting-edge Engima, along with Mexican restaurant Hoja Santa, taco bar Niño Viejo and the Japanese-Peruvian fusion eatery Pakta – and Malquerida will be served at all of them.
Meaning ‘unloved’, the name comes from one of the best-known works in Spanish theatre by Jacinto Benavente.
The strategy is to raise awareness of the tipple through restaurants before distributing it for general consumption at no more than €3 a bottle.
The Adria brothers have been planning to launch a beer for many years, but it was only in 2016 that they had the time to begin their experiment.
“It’s going to be difficult not to love it,” says Albert, describing Malquerida as perfect not only for spicy food and mixed flavors, but also Spanish favorites such as boquerones and mussels.
“This beer cleanses fat and contributes acidity,” he says.
- WARNING: How meticulous thieves are robbing your homes while you enjoy days at the beach along Spain’s Costa del Sol - 17 Jun, 2019 @ 17:06
- Luxury brands continue to bet on Marbella’s Puerto Banus as Hermes, Versace and Fendi to set up shop - 17 Jun, 2019 @ 13:09
- Rival the yachts of Marbella this summer with this HUGE inflatable boat from Amazon - 17 Jun, 2019 @ 11:55
- REVEALED: British flyers behind soar in on-flight incidents in Spain as Malaga, Alicante and Mallorca most affected by bad behaviour - 17 Jun, 2019 @ 11:24
- IN PICS: The stunning 16th century estate going up for auction in Spain - 16 Jun, 2019 @ 09:07
- Fake goods costing Spain and EU billions each year - 15 Jun, 2019 @ 08:38
- Brothers cuffed after trying to stuff 11 champagne bottles down one of their tops in huge shoplifting FAIL on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 17:22
- British tourists still flocking to Spain’s Malaga as first quarter of 2019 shows almost 10% increase in hotel stays - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 17:04
- 8 things you didn’t know were ILLEGAL to do at the beach on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 12:29
- Young paedo groomed at least 10 children across Spain’s Alicante, Andalucia and Valencia and paid them for explicit images while posing as underage girl online - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 11:26