Malquerida, a dark red brew, is designed to compliment Latino cuisine.
It comes as dishes from Mexico, Peru and Brazil are trending globally, but particularly in Spain.
“In Spanish restaurants and bars, more ceviche is typically eaten than tripe,” says Ferran Adrià, who added that the growth of Latino food is now ‘unstoppable’.
Albert, the younger of the Adria brothers, has established their gastronomic project elBarri in the Barcelona neighborhood of Paral·lel, an area where he has set up a number of restaurants already: the world-famous Tickets, vermouth bar Bodega 1900 and the cutting-edge Engima, along with Mexican restaurant Hoja Santa, taco bar Niño Viejo and the Japanese-Peruvian fusion eatery Pakta – and Malquerida will be served at all of them.
Meaning ‘unloved’, the name comes from one of the best-known works in Spanish theatre by Jacinto Benavente.
The strategy is to raise awareness of the tipple through restaurants before distributing it for general consumption at no more than €3 a bottle.
The Adria brothers have been planning to launch a beer for many years, but it was only in 2016 that they had the time to begin their experiment.
“It’s going to be difficult not to love it,” says Albert, describing Malquerida as perfect not only for spicy food and mixed flavors, but also Spanish favorites such as boquerones and mussels.
“This beer cleanses fat and contributes acidity,” he says.
- ‘DRUG HILLS’: British expats in upmarket urbanisation on Spain’s Costa del Sol wake up to ‘disgraceful’ graffiti - 20 Mar, 2019 @ 11:47
- Westley Capper arrives at Malaga court on last day of Agnese Klavina trial after damning CCTV footage shown to court - 20 Mar, 2019 @ 11:20
- Dead body dumped on Spain’s Costa del Sol was of young foreigner, 23, and had at least 10 gunshot wounds - 19 Mar, 2019 @ 10:59
- Guardia Civil cop who killed three people after causing pile up on Costa del Sol while driving on cocaine ordered to pay €1.4 million in compensation - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 16:52
- SACRE BLOW! French smuggling gang which moved cocaine and hashish between Morocco, Malaga and Europe busted in joint operation - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 16:12
- Residents feel shaking as FOUR earthquakes rock Malaga - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 15:33
- Rain and cold wind forecast for Spain’s Malaga this week - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 15:16
- WATCH: Manhunt launched after pharmacy robbed at GUNPOINT on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 12:45
- Dead body found dumped with ‘several gunshot wounds’ on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 12:31
- British expats facing 12 years in prison and €84,000 in compensation costs as trial over missing Agnese Klavina begins in Malaga TODAY - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 11:22