AN expat was drugged and kidnapped and held captive for 11 days by an eastern European gang that demanded €1.5 million, police revealed yesterday.
The unnamed Dutchman was taken on June 12 by a group disguised as Spanish police near his home in Lloret de Mar, a seaside resort in northeastern Spain.
He was released 11 days later after a police operation in Casarrubios del Monte, a small town close to Madrid where he was being held.
According to police, his kidnappers had been lying low near his home, waiting for the opportune moment to take him.
They hit him, blindfolded him and forced into a car boot at gunpoint, he told police after his release.
One of the kidnappers then used the man’s mobile phone to call his wife and demand a ransom of €1.5 million in exchange for his freedom, according to a police statement.
The hostage was constantly fed tranquilisers and sedatives by the alleged head of the gang, a Romanian man who studied medicine in Madrid.
Police tracked down the gang after the hostage’s family alerted the authorities.
They managed to rescue the hostage just hours before a scheduled meeting to hand over the ransom money at a hotel parking lot near a motorway.
Police said the kidnappers had begun moving the drugged hostage out of the house in a wheelchair before backtracking, realising they were being watched.
- IN PICS: ‘One million’ march against Brexit in London - 23 Mar, 2019 @ 20:14
- ‘DRUG HILLS’: British expats in upmarket urbanisation on Spain’s Costa del Sol wake up to ‘disgraceful’ graffiti - 20 Mar, 2019 @ 11:47
- Westley Capper arrives at Malaga court on last day of Agnese Klavina trial after damning CCTV footage shown to court - 20 Mar, 2019 @ 11:20
- Dead body dumped on Spain’s Costa del Sol was of young foreigner, 23, and had at least 10 gunshot wounds - 19 Mar, 2019 @ 10:59
- Guardia Civil cop who killed three people after causing pile up on Costa del Sol while driving on cocaine ordered to pay €1.4 million in compensation - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 16:52
- SACRE BLOW! French smuggling gang which moved cocaine and hashish between Morocco, Malaga and Europe busted in joint operation - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 16:12
- Residents feel shaking as FOUR earthquakes rock Malaga - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 15:33
- Rain and cold wind forecast for Spain’s Malaga this week - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 15:16
- WATCH: Manhunt launched after pharmacy robbed at GUNPOINT on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 12:45
- Dead body found dumped with ‘several gunshot wounds’ on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 12:31