AN expat was drugged and kidnapped and held captive for 11 days by an eastern European gang that demanded €1.5 million, police revealed yesterday.
The unnamed Dutchman was taken on June 12 by a group disguised as Spanish police near his home in Lloret de Mar, a seaside resort in northeastern Spain.
He was released 11 days later after a police operation in Casarrubios del Monte, a small town close to Madrid where he was being held.
According to police, his kidnappers had been lying low near his home, waiting for the opportune moment to take him.
They hit him, blindfolded him and forced into a car boot at gunpoint, he told police after his release.
One of the kidnappers then used the man’s mobile phone to call his wife and demand a ransom of €1.5 million in exchange for his freedom, according to a police statement.
The hostage was constantly fed tranquilisers and sedatives by the alleged head of the gang, a Romanian man who studied medicine in Madrid.
Police tracked down the gang after the hostage’s family alerted the authorities.
They managed to rescue the hostage just hours before a scheduled meeting to hand over the ransom money at a hotel parking lot near a motorway.
Police said the kidnappers had begun moving the drugged hostage out of the house in a wheelchair before backtracking, realising they were being watched.
- Fake goods costing Spain and EU billions each year - 15 Jun, 2019 @ 08:38
- Brothers cuffed after trying to stuff 11 champagne bottles down one of their tops in huge shoplifting FAIL on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 17:22
- British tourists still flocking to Spain’s Malaga as first quarter of 2019 shows almost 10% increase in hotel stays - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 17:04
- 8 things you didn’t know were ILLEGAL to do at the beach on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 12:29
- Young paedo groomed at least 10 children across Spain’s Alicante, Andalucia and Valencia and paid them for explicit images while posing as underage girl online - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 11:26
- BREAKING: Barack Obama will be in Marbella TOMORROW for secret meeting at luxury hotel - 13 Jun, 2019 @ 16:50
- IN PICS: Game of Thrones stars party it up in Spain’s Benidorm for Sophie Turner’s hen do ahead of ‘official’ marriage to Joe Jonas - 13 Jun, 2019 @ 16:20
- Gibraltar police fuming after rumours ‘falsely claim’ drunk off duty officer started late night brawl at Pig & Whistle pub - 13 Jun, 2019 @ 15:45
- How a gang sold more than €1.5 million of drugs EVERY WEEK with the help of a Breaking Bad-style family in Cadiz – and how they spent it on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 13 Jun, 2019 @ 15:13
- Homes sealed off after explosion shatters windows more than 50 metres away on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 13 Jun, 2019 @ 11:35