NEW statistics have shown Andalucia has seen almost 20% of all drownings in Spain this year.
It comes after a 56-year-old man drowned yesterday morning in the beach of La Misericordia.
The man was discovered by a boy near the El Espigón chiringuito at around 10am.
Emergency services were called immediately, but the bather died at the scene.
The National Drowning Report, prepared by the Royal Spanish Federation of Rescue and Relief, has now once again labelled Andalucia as the region with the highest number of deaths due to drowning.
Between July 15 2016 to July 15 of this year, 45 people have drowned in the region, 18.3% of the total 246 in Spain during the same period.
According to the report published yesterday, the 45 deaths exceeded the figures for 2015, when there were 23 deaths, and 2016, when there were 39.
The majority of registered victims in Andalucia were men (84%), Spanish nationals (78%), and between 45 and 54 years (20%).
- Expats rally around British pensioner made homeless on Spain’s Costa del Sol as alleged ‘squatter tenants’ speak out - 25 Apr, 2019 @ 20:32
- British expats and locals FUMING as celebrity chef Dani Garcia’s chiringuito gets go ahead on protected land in southern Spain - 25 Apr, 2019 @ 12:16
- Mercadona refuses to review security measures on Spain’s Costa del Sol after string of British expats robbed in its stores - 24 Apr, 2019 @ 13:33
- Popular drag queen attacked by group of homophobic ‘foreign’ men in gay-friendly Torremolinos - 23 Apr, 2019 @ 11:50
- British pensioner praises Spanish local for handing him €400 he unwittingly left in cash machine on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 22 Apr, 2019 @ 15:30
- REVEALED: Which Andalucian province saw a 56% boom in property sales while Costa del Sol, Alicante and Balearics suffered DROPS - 21 Apr, 2019 @ 09:03
- BREAKING: British and Spanish children ‘almost die’ after dangerous game ends in FIREBALL on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 20 Apr, 2019 @ 21:14
- British expat robbed twice in same Costa del Sol supermarket in just 10 days loses ‘priceless’ personal mementos from dead daughter - 20 Apr, 2019 @ 08:51
- THERE’LL BE KILLINGS: Cadiz drug trafficker warns of BAZOOKAS and bodies on the streets if crackdown on smuggling across Strait of Gibraltar continues - 19 Apr, 2019 @ 13:10
- Irish company launches lifesaving ‘hangover care package’ for expats in Spain - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 12:09