SPAIN’S economy is expected to grow much more than predicted by the IMF this year.
The world banking institution had forecast growth of 2.6%, but on Tuesday it revised this to ‘at least’ 3.1%.
Strong consumption, investment and exports have helped to keep Spain’s four-year economic recovery on track.
The country’s gross domestic product also likely surpassed its pre-crisis level in the second quarter of this year, according to the IMF.
But the body added that Spain’s economy could end up growing more than 3.1% in 2017, if momentum from past reforms accelerates more than expected.
Spain restructured its banking sector and made tweaks to its labor laws several years ago to try to boost growth after the country plunged into recession when a building boom went bust.
The IMF called on Spanish authorities to take advantage of robust economic growth to focus on chipping away at public debt, which remains high at around 100% of GDP.
It added that the country needs to address youth and long-term unemployment rates, which are among the highest in Europe.
Thousands of new jobs are being created as the economy heals, but many are temporary and many Spaniards who say they want to work full-time are in part-time positions.
- BREAKING: British and Spanish children ‘almost die’ after dangerous game ends in FIREBALL on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 20 Apr, 2019 @ 21:14
- British expat robbed twice in same Costa del Sol supermarket in just 10 days loses ‘priceless’ personal mementos from dead daughter - 20 Apr, 2019 @ 08:51
- THERE’LL BE KILLINGS: Cadiz drug trafficker warns of BAZOOKAS and bodies on the streets if crackdown on smuggling across Strait of Gibraltar continues - 19 Apr, 2019 @ 13:10
- Irish company launches lifesaving ‘hangover care package’ for expats in Spain - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 12:09
- ‘WE’RE TERRIFIED’: Brother of missing British father who vanished from Spain’s Costa del Sol with son speaks out - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 11:29
- Drones which can photograph drivers using their mobile phone from 2km away launched in Spain TODAY - 17 Apr, 2019 @ 17:33
- BREAKING: Police arrest jihadist planning ‘massacre’ at Semana Santa parade in Spain’s Andalucia - 17 Apr, 2019 @ 15:52
- PREDATOR drones from US to patrol Strait of Gibraltar and Cadiz coast as Spain’s Guardia Civil fear surge in drug and people smuggling this summer - 17 Apr, 2019 @ 13:52
- Marbella’s iconic Villa Padierna hotel which hosted Michelle Obama changing hands - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 17:40
- Max Beach will reopen on Spain’s Costa del Sol this week with new look and night time venue planned for summer - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 17:06