IT’S official. The Costa del Sol is the cheapest holiday destination in Europe.
A major study found a jolly on Spain’s southern coast was less than half the price of rival hotspot Ibiza and even outpriced notoriously cheap Sunny Beach in Bulgaria.
The UK’s Post Office Travel Supermarket study compared the price of 10 items in 15 holiday destinations which are a favourite with Brits, including the Costa Blanca, Mallorca, Portugal’s Algarve and Greece’s Crete.
The sum total of the items, which included ice cream, sun-lounger rental and a banana boat ride, reached just €86.20 on the Costa del Sol.
It was followed by Sunny Beach on £89.93 and the Costa Blanca on €106.21.
Mallorca’s Palma Nova and Ibiza helped round off the list with €141.49 and €197.30 respectively.
The study showed a huge difference in food costs, with a three-course evening meal on the Andalucian coast costing just €45.31, compared to €125.01 in Ibiza and €86.72 in Mallorca.
The most expensive destination was Italy’s Sorrento, where a three-course evening meal would set you back €148.44.
Prices across the board have increased by 9.8% on the Costa del Sol and Costa Blanca, and by a whopping 23.6% and 25.6% on Mallorca and Ibiza respectively.
Meanwhile, second-placed Sunny Beach in Bulgaria only saw a price increase of 2.6% on last year.
- OPINION: Justice at last! - 21 Jul, 2019 @ 04:39
- SIMPLY THE REST: Driving through Spain this summer? Here are the best boutique hotels to stop at en route - 20 Jul, 2019 @ 09:05
- Expat Marbella couple held in prison on drug and money laundering charges ‘may have links to Finland’s Hells Angels’ as more details emerge - 19 Jul, 2019 @ 15:13
- IN THE NICK OF TIME: Irish man arrested at Malaga airport check-in desk donning €28,000 Rolex he reported as robbed in Marbella a day earlier - 19 Jul, 2019 @ 12:41
- Expat stumbles upon TWO sets of human remains on Spain’s Costa del Sol during morning stroll - 19 Jul, 2019 @ 12:15
- Conservative deputy mayor arrested after police find HUNDREDS of marijuana plants growing in his home in Spain’s Andalucia - 18 Jul, 2019 @ 17:13
- Expat Marbella restaurant owner and bikini-model girlfriend arrested on money laundering and drug charges as Costa del Sol home raided - 18 Jul, 2019 @ 16:09
- MUST READ: How to survive a rip current following deaths of two swimmers on Costa del Sol beach - 16 Jul, 2019 @ 11:43
- Man becomes second to die off Costa del Sol beach in just 15 days - 15 Jul, 2019 @ 16:35
- BRACE YOURSELVES: Hot winds to bring temperatures of up to 39C on Spain’s Costa del Sol TODAY - 15 Jul, 2019 @ 10:27