DESPACITO is the first Spanish song to top the US’s Billboard 100 in more than 20 years.
The ‘song of the summer’ in dozens of countries has been at the number one spot for 15 weeks and counting, a feat not achieved by a Spanish-speaking song since the 1996 hit La Macarena.
Luis Fonsi and Daddy Yankee’s song has now set a record as the most streamed song on Spotify and is the first YouTube video to reach three billion views.
The song has also opened the door for other Spanish tracks to get airplay on American radio.
“It wasn’t really forced, it wasn’t gimmicky … it’s sort of an accident if you will,” Fonsi said of his hit song.
“There’s something magical in that melody and in the beat and in the production … and people in Russia and Australia and U.K. and France and U.S. and South America — everyone’s just dancing.”
- IN PICS: ‘One million’ march against Brexit in London - 23 Mar, 2019 @ 20:14
- ‘DRUG HILLS’: British expats in upmarket urbanisation on Spain’s Costa del Sol wake up to ‘disgraceful’ graffiti - 20 Mar, 2019 @ 11:47
- Westley Capper arrives at Malaga court on last day of Agnese Klavina trial after damning CCTV footage shown to court - 20 Mar, 2019 @ 11:20
- Dead body dumped on Spain’s Costa del Sol was of young foreigner, 23, and had at least 10 gunshot wounds - 19 Mar, 2019 @ 10:59
- Guardia Civil cop who killed three people after causing pile up on Costa del Sol while driving on cocaine ordered to pay €1.4 million in compensation - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 16:52
- SACRE BLOW! French smuggling gang which moved cocaine and hashish between Morocco, Malaga and Europe busted in joint operation - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 16:12
- Residents feel shaking as FOUR earthquakes rock Malaga - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 15:33
- Rain and cold wind forecast for Spain’s Malaga this week - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 15:16
- WATCH: Manhunt launched after pharmacy robbed at GUNPOINT on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 12:45
- Dead body found dumped with ‘several gunshot wounds’ on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 12:31