DOZENS of expats have been left without water in stifling conditions for almost a MONTH.
The residents in Colmenar, in the Axarquia, have been forced to stock up on water bottles or fork out thousands of euros on water tanks thanks to the dwindling water supply.
British expat Malcolm Coxall, 62, now fears the searing summer temperatures has left stagnant water a hotbed for diseases such as Legionnaires.
“It’s the perfect storm,” the former IT technician told the Olive Press. “The water left sitting in pipes for 24 days is no longer chlorinated and the bacteria forming could contaminate domestic water systems once the water returns.
“It’s a serious health risk.”
There are also fears it could impact tourism in the area.
“Much of the village’s tourism is based on rural and residential tourists and these visitors and residents are mostly in the countryside,” explained Coxall-
“The village has only 20 hotel rooms, whereas the campo has several hundred houses, many of which are occupied by tourists during the summer.”
He added that Colmenar town hall had provided no information about plans to restore water supply or give reasons why the supply is affected.
“Statements about blocked pipes usually turn out to be incorrect or, at best, avoidable.
“The lack of communication is causing anger.”
Colmenar mayor Pepe Martin Garcia told the Olive Press: “We are working to fix the problem and should have water restored within the first 15 days of September.
“There will then be less demand and the deposits will have gone up again.
“We are also planning on replacing the piping, where there is a blockage.”
He added that the total cost will be around €30,000.
- One hospitalised as roaring chemical plant fire in San Roque is brought under control - 25 Jun, 2019 @ 20:27
- Gibraltar says ‘no cause for concern’ as toxic smoke from San Roque chemical fire unlikely to affect British territory - 25 Jun, 2019 @ 17:55
- Firefighters near San Roque chemical fire warn of toxic smoke as Gibraltar government advises residents to CLOSE WINDOWS and doors - 25 Jun, 2019 @ 17:35
- WATCH: Homes evacuated as huge chemical fire ‘covers cars in ash’ and ‘turns sky dark’ near Spain’s Costa del Sol - 25 Jun, 2019 @ 16:59
- IN VIDEOS: HUGE mushroom cloud of toxic black smoke as fire BLAZES at chemical plant near Spain’s Costa del Sol - 25 Jun, 2019 @ 16:16
- BREAKING: Incident at San Roque oil refinery as flames and smoke billow from plant - 25 Jun, 2019 @ 15:54
- PLEASE SHARE: British teen launches last-ditch appeal to find dad who vanished from Spain’s Costa Blanca almost 10 years ago - 25 Jun, 2019 @ 15:34
- Shots fired at mosque in Spain - 25 Jun, 2019 @ 14:37
- BLUFFING MUFFINS: WARNING as batches of ‘fake gluten and dairy free’ magdalenas across Spain at risk of causing widespread allergic reactions - 25 Jun, 2019 @ 14:27
- IN PICS: Saudi tycoon’s HUGE €200 million yacht arrives on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 25 Jun, 2019 @ 13:59