SPAIN’S airport unions have decided to postpone the 25 one-day strikes they programmed for September 15 and onwards.
The unions had asked for an 8% pay rise, as well as the hiring of around 700 people by Aena and Enaire.
The decision to put the strikes on hold came after a meeting with Secretary of State for Infrastructure, Julio Gomez-Pomar.
“The Secretary of State has promised support and he accepts our point of view, so it is reasonable for us to wait,” said Raul Gomez of the General Workers Union (UGT), while Paco Casado of the union Comisiones Obreras (CCOO) explained that ‘after the meeting, we have made a favorable valuation and decided to give them more time.’
The unions will now hold a meeting with Aena and Enaire on September 7, although a breakdown in those talks would see the strikes reconvened with the first day of industrial action programmed for September 22.
Should this happen, workers in nearly all sectors of Spain’s airports would go on strike, including firemen, baggage handlers, electricians, security and information, airport shops, and even car park staff.
The dates in question are as follows:
September: 15, 17, 22, 24 and 29
October; 1, 6, 11, 15, 27, 30 and 31
November: 3 and 5
December: 1, 4, 5, 7, 8, 10, 26, 27, 28, 29 and 30
- British RAF pilot brings new – and MUCH cheaper – property listing concept to Spain - 23 Mar, 2019 @ 17:21
- Spain’s Supreme Court bans historic bull hunting and spearing tradition in Castilla y Leon - 23 Mar, 2019 @ 11:00
- Malaga’s ‘Banksy’ attracts world attention replicating masterpieces on the streets of Spain and Europe - 23 Mar, 2019 @ 10:00
- M1 Legal is stacking up the victories against Spain’s Timeshare giants - 22 Mar, 2019 @ 11:13
- How to Improve Academic Writing Skills for UK University Admission - 22 Mar, 2019 @ 09:37
- Giant electricity pylons rampaging across the valley vista in Sierra Nevada - 21 Mar, 2019 @ 18:57
- Living with Gaudi – Turkish art dealer builds home inside iconic tourist attraction - 20 Mar, 2019 @ 18:38
- Spain tops global health league but all is not well for expats - 19 Mar, 2019 @ 16:59
- Lady Elizabeth School, in Benitachell Alicante, is to have its grand inauguration this month - 19 Mar, 2019 @ 10:32
- How do casino promotions work in Spain? - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 14:05