DAN Kelly and his Swedish partner Åsa have just completed their first five-year plan after setting up one of the only high-quality chilli farms in Andalucia.
Scorched Earth Chilli Farm located on Camino Nicola off the A7 past the Rio del Velerin has gone from strength to strength in recent years as chilli enthusiasts are flocking to the farm.
Dan said: “We started off small and were just getting bigger and bigger, busier and busier.
“We’re very open-minded, everyone really loves it. People walk in and go ‘wow chilli heaven’ they go mental for it.”
Both he and his partner plant up to 5,000 plants a year after finding out food establishments along the Costa del Sol were using cheap alternatives to chillies.
This spawned a business with over a 180 different varieties of chilli from a mild pepper to some of the hottest chillies on the planet including the Naga King, Carolina Reaper, and Bhut Jolokia.
The farm also specialises in chilli infused salts and oils as well as 35 different sauces.
Dan added: “We actually had two school kids come round and try our chilli-chocolate-cake. They’ve gone back to school and told their friends who then brought their parents along.”
Dan has grand plans for the farm aiming to set up an indoor warehouse so they can harvest chillies all year and have a suitable brand to maximise profits.
On November 4 the farm will be hosting an all-you-can-eat BBQ with music for those seeking to wet their taste buds and are open on Saturday and Sunday from 10-2pm.
For more information visit scorchedearthchillifarm.com
- Doctor called in to help podgy population lose weight in a Spanish town - 25 Feb, 2018 @ 12:30
- Flu pandemic in Spain leads to rising death toll - 25 Feb, 2018 @ 10:30
- Spanish hospitals charging tourists double for care in Barcelona - 20 Feb, 2018 @ 13:37
- Spain gets its first beer spa in Andalucia - 20 Feb, 2018 @ 12:06
- Spain vows to send more police officers to combat ‘narcos state’ in Cadiz - 20 Feb, 2018 @ 10:50
- Spanish singer Marta Sanchez causes controversy with rendition of national anthem - 19 Feb, 2018 @ 15:06
- Spain’s SpaceX satellite launch in California delayed by four days - 19 Feb, 2018 @ 13:43
- Spain’s finance minister fails to impress MEPs for European Central Bank role - 19 Feb, 2018 @ 12:47
- UN set to inspect migrant situation in Spain - 19 Feb, 2018 @ 11:07
- Chasing corruption: Tracking Spain’s nine biggest corruption cases in 2018 - 17 Feb, 2018 @ 11:11