THE number of tourists visiting the Costa del Sol this summer reached more than seven million for the first time ever.
According to the Turismo Costa del Sol and employment body AEHCOS, it is a 5.2% increase on last year.
Employment between June and September also rose by 8%.
The region is though to have raked in €7.15 billion this season, leading tourism boss Elías Bendodo to qualify this summer as ‘the best in history’, a sentiment that has been shared by Luis Callejón Suñé, head of employment body AEHCOS.
Aiport arrivals also increased by 1.6% while overnight stays went up by 2.36%.
The tourism surge is partly due to the confidence in the Costa del Sol demonstrated by foreign markets, which have experienced strong growth.
Undeterred by Brexit, the amount of British visitors jumped by 7% this year, while Nordic and German visitors also boomed.
The good results from the tourism sector leaves the province very close to reaching its targets and concluding the year with more than promising prospects in the short term.
Winter is also expected to break records, as between November and January, 12% more passengers are expected at Malaga airport.
- IN PICS: New Gibraltar property development to rival London’s Mayfair - 24 May, 2019 @ 09:52
- Agnese Klavina’s family to take case to Supreme Court after ‘shock verdict’ sees Marbella based Brits accused of kidnap ‘walk free’ on lesser charge - 23 May, 2019 @ 13:38
- REVEALED: Majority of Andalucia’s El Corte Ingles stores in the red while Marbella and Malaga the ONLY Costa del Sol outlets to return a profit - 23 May, 2019 @ 11:07
- BUSTED: €600 million empire which trafficked drugs into the UK and laundered money into Spain’s property market - 22 May, 2019 @ 18:38
- British most obsessed with doggy-style while Spain loves ‘cuckolding’, as new study reveals world’s sexual preferences - 22 May, 2019 @ 17:36
- WARNING: Multi-day heatwaves and life threatening temperatures coming to Spain this summer - 22 May, 2019 @ 16:25
- WE’VE GOT THE POWER: Dozens of expats fill up the ballot lists for vital local elections in Spain’s Andalucia - 22 May, 2019 @ 13:12
- HAY FEVER EPIDEMIC: Expert reveals why your allergies seem much worse in Spain this year - 22 May, 2019 @ 12:47
- Liverpool FC brings extreme security measures to Marbella football training ground ahead of Champions League final - 22 May, 2019 @ 10:35
- MISSING: British expat and dementia sufferer, 83, disappears on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 21 May, 2019 @ 11:25