The Andalucian gem beat the likes of Hamburg, Oslo and Detroit in the 2018 Best in Travel ranking decided on by a panel of experts and based on suggestions by travel writers, editors and bloggers.
“Once a traffic-congested metropolis resting on its historical laurels, Seville has bloomed into a city of bicycles and trams, keen to reinvigorate its artistic past,” Lonely Planet wrote explaining its decision.
Next year is a notable one for the city, as it hosts the European Film Awards and expositions celebrating famed painter Esteban Murillo.
Its recognisable Game of Thrones filming locations also gave it a boost.
The Andlucian capital’s highlights include outstanding examples of Moorish architecture like the Alcázar palace and the Giralda minaret, as well as its Gothic cathedral which is the final resting place of Christopher Columbus.
It’s also considered the birth place of flamenco and is home to two of Spain’s most supported and most successful football teams, Real Betis and Sevilla FC.
- WATCH: Manhunt launched after pharmacy robbed at GUNPOINT on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 12:45
- Dead body found dumped with ‘several gunshot wounds’ on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 12:31
- British expats facing 12 years in prison and €84,000 in compensation costs as trial over missing Agnese Klavina begins in Malaga TODAY - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 11:22
- TASTING MANILVA: Discovering another side to this expat hotspot through cottage industry wine - 17 Mar, 2019 @ 11:51
- HOUSE OF HORRORS: Expat squatter couple caged and interrogated after dead baby and child, 3, found buried near luxury urbanisations in Spain - 15 Mar, 2019 @ 14:23
- Warnings as woman almost DIES in Spain after suffering huge allergic reaction to partner’s sperm in WORLD FIRST - 14 Mar, 2019 @ 17:36
- Fatboy Slim, Elton John, Gallagher brothers, Jamiroquai and Kings of Leon among the HUGE list of British and US acts performing across Spain this year - 14 Mar, 2019 @ 14:29
- British MPs to vote on holding ANOTHER Brexit referendum - 14 Mar, 2019 @ 14:10
- Gibraltar number plates could be targets for vandals in Spain, warns Briton whose tyres were slashed in Marbella - 14 Mar, 2019 @ 13:45
- ROMAINER: British expat in Malaga ditches British passport for Romanian one to guarantee freedom of movement post-Brexit - 14 Mar, 2019 @ 12:39