The Andalucian gem beat the likes of Hamburg, Oslo and Detroit in the 2018 Best in Travel ranking decided on by a panel of experts and based on suggestions by travel writers, editors and bloggers.
“Once a traffic-congested metropolis resting on its historical laurels, Seville has bloomed into a city of bicycles and trams, keen to reinvigorate its artistic past,” Lonely Planet wrote explaining its decision.
Next year is a notable one for the city, as it hosts the European Film Awards and expositions celebrating famed painter Esteban Murillo.
Its recognisable Game of Thrones filming locations also gave it a boost.
The Andlucian capital’s highlights include outstanding examples of Moorish architecture like the Alcázar palace and the Giralda minaret, as well as its Gothic cathedral which is the final resting place of Christopher Columbus.
It’s also considered the birth place of flamenco and is home to two of Spain’s most supported and most successful football teams, Real Betis and Sevilla FC.
- MISSING: British expat and dementia sufferer, 83, disappears on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 21 May, 2019 @ 11:25
- British expat arrested for starting forest fire on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 20 May, 2019 @ 21:15
- Top British rugby player fighting for his life after falling from major Spain airport car park - 20 May, 2019 @ 16:54
- British expat benefits cheat who stole more than €90,000 from UK coffers while living on Spain’s Costa del Sol given 900 YEARS to pay back debt - 20 May, 2019 @ 10:56
- 7 times town halls in Spain had us screaming ‘what were they thinking?’ - 19 May, 2019 @ 16:21
- Left-wing government could spell trouble for property investors - 19 May, 2019 @ 09:59
- GUILTY: Westley Capper and Craig Porter verdict in but ‘both will AVOID JAIL’ over Agnese Klavina disappearance, Capper to appeal - 17 May, 2019 @ 19:48
- IN PICS: The jobs of the past in Spain made (almost) obsolete by modern life - 17 May, 2019 @ 14:16
- REVEALED: The 5 towns in Malaga set to receive FREE public wifi thanks to EU initiative - 16 May, 2019 @ 14:24
- WATCH: Afilador plies his trade on Costa del Sol as one of the last to practice long-held Spanish tradition - 16 May, 2019 @ 12:40