CEO Alex Cruz, who took the top job 18 months ago, announced a £4.5 billion investment that would make British Airways ‘the airline of choice for everyone’.
“The glory days are coming back,” he said during a speech at World Travel Market in London over the weekend. “I firmly believe that our best days lie ahead.”
Cruz said the cash injection would go towards procuring 72 new aircraft, upgrading 128 existing planes, training staff and rolling out ‘the best Wi-Fi in the sky’.
He also committed BA to installing at-seat power points in all cabins and improving long-haul catering in economy, with the return of a proper second meal instead of a snack.
“What else can passengers expect? Lower fares, better service and new destinations,” he said.
He added that BA had ‘learned some hard lessons this year’, referring to the computer meltdown that cost the airline an estimated £80 million, and the botched roll out of ‘buy on board’ refreshments from M&S, which replaced free meals on short-haul flights in January.
Stocking issues meant the airline repeatedly ran out of food before all passengers had been served.
“The low-cost model is now spreading to long haul,” said Cruz, who claimed BA would have to become more efficient going forward. “If you don’t change habits formed in cosier eras you will shrink and ultimately risk irrelevance.”
- Irish company launches lifesaving ‘hangover care package’ for expats in Spain - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 12:09
- ‘WE’RE TERRIFIED’: Brother of missing British father who vanished from Spain’s Costa del Sol with son speaks out - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 11:29
- Drones which can photograph drivers using their mobile phone from 2km away launched in Spain TODAY - 17 Apr, 2019 @ 17:33
- BREAKING: Police arrest jihadist planning ‘massacre’ at Semana Santa parade in Spain’s Andalucia - 17 Apr, 2019 @ 15:52
- PREDATOR drones from US to patrol Strait of Gibraltar and Cadiz coast as Spain’s Guardia Civil fear surge in drug and people smuggling this summer - 17 Apr, 2019 @ 13:52
- Marbella’s iconic Villa Padierna hotel which hosted Michelle Obama changing hands - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 17:40
- Max Beach will reopen on Spain’s Costa del Sol this week with new look and night time venue planned for summer - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 17:06
- Bomb threat in Madrid declared false alarm as workers told they can return to work - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 14:16
- Bomb threat sees thousands evacuated from Madrid skyscraper home to British embassy - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 13:49
- BREAKING: Police continue evacuation of British embassy after alleged bomb threat on Madrid skyscraper - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 13:14