CEO Alex Cruz, who took the top job 18 months ago, announced a £4.5 billion investment that would make British Airways ‘the airline of choice for everyone’.
“The glory days are coming back,” he said during a speech at World Travel Market in London over the weekend. “I firmly believe that our best days lie ahead.”
Cruz said the cash injection would go towards procuring 72 new aircraft, upgrading 128 existing planes, training staff and rolling out ‘the best Wi-Fi in the sky’.
He also committed BA to installing at-seat power points in all cabins and improving long-haul catering in economy, with the return of a proper second meal instead of a snack.
“What else can passengers expect? Lower fares, better service and new destinations,” he said.
He added that BA had ‘learned some hard lessons this year’, referring to the computer meltdown that cost the airline an estimated £80 million, and the botched roll out of ‘buy on board’ refreshments from M&S, which replaced free meals on short-haul flights in January.
Stocking issues meant the airline repeatedly ran out of food before all passengers had been served.
“The low-cost model is now spreading to long haul,” said Cruz, who claimed BA would have to become more efficient going forward. “If you don’t change habits formed in cosier eras you will shrink and ultimately risk irrelevance.”
- IN PICS: New Gibraltar property development to rival London’s Mayfair - 24 May, 2019 @ 09:52
- Agnese Klavina’s family to take case to Supreme Court after ‘shock verdict’ sees Marbella based Brits accused of kidnap ‘walk free’ on lesser charge - 23 May, 2019 @ 13:38
- REVEALED: Majority of Andalucia’s El Corte Ingles stores in the red while Marbella and Malaga the ONLY Costa del Sol outlets to return a profit - 23 May, 2019 @ 11:07
- BUSTED: €600 million empire which trafficked drugs into the UK and laundered money into Spain’s property market - 22 May, 2019 @ 18:38
- British most obsessed with doggy-style while Spain loves ‘cuckolding’, as new study reveals world’s sexual preferences - 22 May, 2019 @ 17:36
- WARNING: Multi-day heatwaves and life threatening temperatures coming to Spain this summer - 22 May, 2019 @ 16:25
- WE’VE GOT THE POWER: Dozens of expats fill up the ballot lists for vital local elections in Spain’s Andalucia - 22 May, 2019 @ 13:12
- HAY FEVER EPIDEMIC: Expert reveals why your allergies seem much worse in Spain this year - 22 May, 2019 @ 12:47
- Liverpool FC brings extreme security measures to Marbella football training ground ahead of Champions League final - 22 May, 2019 @ 10:35
- MISSING: British expat and dementia sufferer, 83, disappears on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 21 May, 2019 @ 11:25