The Middle Eastern state’s military announced the deal on the sidelines of the Dubai Airshow today.
Major General Ishaq Saleh Al Baloushi, head of the Executive Administration of Industries and Development of Defense Capabilities at the UAE Defence Ministry, didn’t say how much the contract was worth.
“This purchase highlights the commitment to the development of the Armed Forces and the provision of all the elements that enable them to carry out their responsibilities and fulfil their duties,” Baloushi said in a statement released by the UAE armed forces.
The UAE is a key member of a Saudi-led coalition that intervened in the Yemen war in 2015 after the Iran-aligned Houthi rebels marched on the southern port city of Aden and forced President Abd-Rabbu Mansour Hadi to flee.
Yemen is currently gripped by a famine, caused by a Saudi-led blockade.
The UN estimates that some 17 million Yemenis are in urgent need of food, seven million of whom are facing famine.
The outbreak and spread of cholera in the country has reportedly infected nearly 900,000 and cost some 2,000 lives.
A Saudi-led coalition backing Yemen’s government has said yesterday that it will not allow rebel-controlled air and sea ports to reopen until a better system is put in place to prevent alleged weapons smuggling from Iran.
It came after it said it would end the blockade on the country’s airports and ports two days ago.
- REVEALED: Which Andalucian province saw a 56% boom in property sales while Costa del Sol, Alicante and Balearics suffered DROPS - 21 Apr, 2019 @ 09:03
- BREAKING: British and Spanish children ‘almost die’ after dangerous game ends in FIREBALL on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 20 Apr, 2019 @ 21:14
- British expat robbed twice in same Costa del Sol supermarket in just 10 days loses ‘priceless’ personal mementos from dead daughter - 20 Apr, 2019 @ 08:51
- THERE’LL BE KILLINGS: Cadiz drug trafficker warns of BAZOOKAS and bodies on the streets if crackdown on smuggling across Strait of Gibraltar continues - 19 Apr, 2019 @ 13:10
- Irish company launches lifesaving ‘hangover care package’ for expats in Spain - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 12:09
- ‘WE’RE TERRIFIED’: Brother of missing British father who vanished from Spain’s Costa del Sol with son speaks out - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 11:29
- Drones which can photograph drivers using their mobile phone from 2km away launched in Spain TODAY - 17 Apr, 2019 @ 17:33
- BREAKING: Police arrest jihadist planning ‘massacre’ at Semana Santa parade in Spain’s Andalucia - 17 Apr, 2019 @ 15:52
- PREDATOR drones from US to patrol Strait of Gibraltar and Cadiz coast as Spain’s Guardia Civil fear surge in drug and people smuggling this summer - 17 Apr, 2019 @ 13:52
- Marbella’s iconic Villa Padierna hotel which hosted Michelle Obama changing hands - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 17:40