SPANIARDS have been left fuming after a video of two bears being chased down by a car went viral.
Spain’s Brown Bear Foundation (FOP) has condemned the clip of two young animals, which appears to have been filmed in the northern region of Cantabria.
The incident was captured on video and posted online where it has been watched nearly 30,000 times. The viral one-minute video, filmed by the passenger, shows the bears being pursued by the car down the road linking the villages of La Lastra and Tudancia.
The car continues at full speed with its headlights on.
Está corriendo por las redes este vídeo grabado en #Cantabria. Cada vez es más habitual que se suba a las redes persecuciones como esta y desde la FOP insistimos en subrayar que esto es ilegal y peligroso.Es ilegal porque está prohibido acosar a las especies amenazadas.Y es peligroso porque puede generar accidentes de tráfico con vehículos que vengan de frente.¡Lo correcto es REDUCIR LA VELOCIDAD para permitir a los osos salir de la carretera! Importante: Cualquier comentario ofensivo será borrado.
Geplaatst door Fundación Oso Pardo op zondag 26 november 2017
The brown bears can be seen running in front of the car until one is chased off the road and the other continues on alone.
The foundation has also warned of the growing popularity of animal cruelty videos.
“Every day it is becoming more common to see cruelty like this on social media,” it said.
The pair behind the viral video has yet to be identified.
Brown bears can grow up to 2 meters in height and weigh between 85 and 115 kilograms, depending on the sex and lives between 25 and 30 years.
Around 240 brown bears are estimated to live in the regions of Asturias and Cantabria and in the provinces of Lugo (Galicia), and León and Palencia (Castilla y León).
- Mercadona refuses to review security measures on Spain’s Costa del Sol after string of British expats robbed in its stores - 24 Apr, 2019 @ 13:33
- Popular drag queen attacked by group of homophobic ‘foreign’ men in gay-friendly Torremolinos - 23 Apr, 2019 @ 11:50
- British pensioner praises Spanish local for handing him €400 he unwittingly left in cash machine on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 22 Apr, 2019 @ 15:30
- REVEALED: Which Andalucian province saw a 56% boom in property sales while Costa del Sol, Alicante and Balearics suffered DROPS - 21 Apr, 2019 @ 09:03
- BREAKING: British and Spanish children ‘almost die’ after dangerous game ends in FIREBALL on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 20 Apr, 2019 @ 21:14
- British expat robbed twice in same Costa del Sol supermarket in just 10 days loses ‘priceless’ personal mementos from dead daughter - 20 Apr, 2019 @ 08:51
- THERE’LL BE KILLINGS: Cadiz drug trafficker warns of BAZOOKAS and bodies on the streets if crackdown on smuggling across Strait of Gibraltar continues - 19 Apr, 2019 @ 13:10
- Irish company launches lifesaving ‘hangover care package’ for expats in Spain - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 12:09
- ‘WE’RE TERRIFIED’: Brother of missing British father who vanished from Spain’s Costa del Sol with son speaks out - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 11:29
- Drones which can photograph drivers using their mobile phone from 2km away launched in Spain TODAY - 17 Apr, 2019 @ 17:33