A GROUP campaigning for the UK to remain in the EU issue a scathing rebuttal of the government’s sluggish Brexit negotiations.
Bremain in Spain, who say they protect the rights of expats in Spain say ‘outstanding issues’ still remain.
“I can assure you that British citizens in the EU are not celebrating or grateful but more fearful than ever of being thrown under the Brexit bus,” said Sue Wilson, Chair of Bremain in Spain.
“We did not anticipate that the EU would recommend moving to phase two of the negotiations at this stage – not when there are so many unresolved citizens’ rights issues.”
The rights of British citizens abroad and those of EU residents in the UK were supposed to be one of three separation issues agreed upon before proceeding to phase two, alongside the divorce bill and the Irish border – the UK’s only EU border.
Bremain say no such guarantees have been given on citizens rights or on the future of Gibraltar’s border and they are not likely to be given as the next stage of Brexit talks begin.
“We will continue to fight to protect ourselves in the best way possible, by fighting to remain in the EU,” Wilson added.
While Theresa May’s government celebrate advancing to phase two, Bremain are still uncertain as to the future of EU citizens, post-Brexit.
- Spain tops global health league but all is not well for expats - 19 Mar, 2019 @ 16:59
- Lady Elizabeth School, in Benitachell Alicante, is to have its grand inauguration this month - 19 Mar, 2019 @ 10:32
- How do casino promotions work in Spain? - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 14:05
- Most Attractive Industries to Invest in Gibraltar - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 14:01
- Ceramics are the hot new design trend styling up interiors this year - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 10:22
- Architect of Spain’s largest indoor sports arena scoops this year’s prestigious Pritzker Prize - 17 Mar, 2019 @ 18:04
- The Brits have not stopped investing in Spanish property with a 12% rise in purchases last year - 16 Mar, 2019 @ 17:43
- World’s greatest F1 champ spotted on the island in first sighting since 2013 - 16 Mar, 2019 @ 13:57
- Siestas ‘help treat high blood pressure’ - 15 Mar, 2019 @ 11:48
- DON’T LEAF US THIS WAY: Brexit striking fear into hearts of ‘terrified’ farmers in Spain’s Andalucia - 9 Mar, 2019 @ 10:00