A GROUP campaigning for the UK to remain in the EU issue a scathing rebuttal of the government’s sluggish Brexit negotiations.
Bremain in Spain, who say they protect the rights of expats in Spain say ‘outstanding issues’ still remain.
“I can assure you that British citizens in the EU are not celebrating or grateful but more fearful than ever of being thrown under the Brexit bus,” said Sue Wilson, Chair of Bremain in Spain.
“We did not anticipate that the EU would recommend moving to phase two of the negotiations at this stage – not when there are so many unresolved citizens’ rights issues.”
The rights of British citizens abroad and those of EU residents in the UK were supposed to be one of three separation issues agreed upon before proceeding to phase two, alongside the divorce bill and the Irish border – the UK’s only EU border.
Bremain say no such guarantees have been given on citizens rights or on the future of Gibraltar’s border and they are not likely to be given as the next stage of Brexit talks begin.
“We will continue to fight to protect ourselves in the best way possible, by fighting to remain in the EU,” Wilson added.
While Theresa May’s government celebrate advancing to phase two, Bremain are still uncertain as to the future of EU citizens, post-Brexit.
- 11 Reasons Why Over 75,000 International Students Choose to Study in Spain - 19 Jun, 2019 @ 19:05
- Out of this world: ‘Green Spaceship’ to dock in Madrid - 16 Jun, 2019 @ 10:24
- After a five-year period of sustained growth, there is a change in the air in Marbella, reports Diana Morales Properties - 16 Jun, 2019 @ 10:14
- Rule-breaking Madrid design firm gives grunge office block some colour therapy - 15 Jun, 2019 @ 18:52
- The latest mega-development for Gibraltar has all the signs of being a big hit with investors - 15 Jun, 2019 @ 12:43
- Madrid architects take centre stage with their dramatic conversion of a historic playhouse - 15 Jun, 2019 @ 11:25
- BBQ King: Ingenious pellet stove barbecues are a dream come true for cooking outdoors - 15 Jun, 2019 @ 11:09
- Famous British businessman and Premier League football star flock to new Benahavis development - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 11:08
- Barcelona Unesco treasure hosts Scottish cancer charity’s first care centre on the continent - 13 Jun, 2019 @ 18:47
- Amazing conversion: how to bring a beautiful old abandoned 18th century townhouse back to life - 13 Jun, 2019 @ 15:40