OVER 75% of expats living in Catalunya are strongly opposed to the region obtaining independence, according to a survey run by Spanish Property Insight.
Shockingly, 45% of those polled also revealed they were considering leaving Catalunya as a result of uncertainty surrounding the region’s future.
The results of the study come ahead of Catalans heading to the polls today to elect a new regional parliament. While Inés Arrimadas’ Ciutadans (Cs) party is predicted to win the most seats, a coalition between pro-independence parties Esquerra (ERC), led by Oriol Junqueras, and Junts per Catalunya, headed by the exiled Carles Puigdemont, are expected to form a government in a real blow for Madrid.
“The independence movement has come to dominate public life in Catalunya, but the identity politics of it leaves many expats cold,” said Mark Stücklin, head of Spanish Property Insight.
“Expats choose to live in Catalunya because of its high quality of life, so they struggle to relate to the historical grievances and nationalist emotions of the independence movement.
“An exodus of expats would be a disaster for Catalunya.”
- Heat and sun returns to Spain’s Costa del Sol from Friday with highs of 24C forecast for next week - 23 Apr, 2019 @ 12:54
- NOT MOO-VING: Moment stubborn cow causes traffic jam on busy A-7 in southern Spain - 23 Apr, 2019 @ 12:31
- Almost 40% of Spaniards fear Brexit will have a ‘very negative’ impact on Spain’s economy - 20 Apr, 2019 @ 11:03
- A Guide To Choosing The Right Casino For You - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 09:05
- Paedo pensioner, 88, spared jail after sexually abusing neighbour’s 8-year-old daughter in Spain - 15 Apr, 2019 @ 14:37
- IN PICTURES: Easter processions kick off in fine weather in Spain - 15 Apr, 2019 @ 10:06
- IN PICS: British family and Madrid studio restore gorgeous period house in Spain into B&B - 13 Apr, 2019 @ 17:54
- SHELL SHOCKED: Unexploded BOMB found on property in Spain’s Malaga - 13 Apr, 2019 @ 12:05
- World Dance Day Saturday 13th April 2019 - 12 Apr, 2019 @ 16:38
- 10 Incredible Ways Technology Will Change Education By 2028 - 11 Apr, 2019 @ 14:30