A BRITISH mother is suing Thomas Cook after spending thousands on doctors to treat her daughter who contracted Lyme Disease.
Gemma Moran, alleges her eight-year-old daughter Clio caught the life-long disease after she was bitten by ticks while staying in a ‘disgusting’ apartment in Mallorca.
The 31-year-old mother says when they arrived in their apartment at the Playa Ferrera Apartments in August, the place had dirty sheets and was infested with creepy crawlies.
Originally thinking it was a mosquito bite, Moran took her daughter to the doctor on three separate occasions, costing €650 in total.
Despite taking out holiday insurance, more money was spent on antibiotics to treat Clio after Spanish doctors confirmed the disease from its ‘bullseye’ bite marks.
Moran, from Hambleton, North Yorkshire said: “This holiday was supposed to be a break for the family but it turned out to be a holiday from hell.
“Clio was treated in Spain for tick bites and an ear infection, which the doctor said came from the pool.
“The bed sheets were filthy – there were ants dropping out of the canopy above us.”
Last minute flights home meant the family-of-six forked out €4,500 and received just €520 from Thomas Cook who they booked the holiday through.
Upon returning to the UK, British doctors confirmed the diagnosis and she has since been taking antibiotics to treat the disease.
A spokesperson for Thomas Cook said: “We are always concerned to hear reports of illness, especially when they involve a child.
“While it’s not clear that it came from the hotel and we haven’t had any similar cases reported as you would expect with an illness of this sort.”
- Doctor called in to help podgy population lose weight in a Spanish town - 25 Feb, 2018 @ 12:30
- Flu pandemic in Spain leads to rising death toll - 25 Feb, 2018 @ 10:30
- Spanish hospitals charging tourists double for care in Barcelona - 20 Feb, 2018 @ 13:37
- Spain gets its first beer spa in Andalucia - 20 Feb, 2018 @ 12:06
- Spain vows to send more police officers to combat ‘narcos state’ in Cadiz - 20 Feb, 2018 @ 10:50
- Spanish singer Marta Sanchez causes controversy with rendition of national anthem - 19 Feb, 2018 @ 15:06
- Spain’s SpaceX satellite launch in California delayed by four days - 19 Feb, 2018 @ 13:43
- Spain’s finance minister fails to impress MEPs for European Central Bank role - 19 Feb, 2018 @ 12:47
- UN set to inspect migrant situation in Spain - 19 Feb, 2018 @ 11:07
- Chasing corruption: Tracking Spain’s nine biggest corruption cases in 2018 - 17 Feb, 2018 @ 11:11