SPAIN’S troops are on 24/7 alert to block Carles Puigdemont’s return to the country, even ‘in the boot of a car’.
The former Catalan leader faces arrest if he returns to Spain over his role in the region’s independence vote.
He has been living in Belgium in self-imposed exile since the end of October.
Asked if Puigdemont could enter Spain incognito, Interior Minister Juan Ignacio Zoido said: “We are taking steps along the border and inside the country, everywhere, to see that that does not happen.
“We are doing it in such a way that he cannot enter (the Catalan parliament) even in the boot of a car.”
He added that he was ‘very worried as one cannot tell what someone like him can do.’
It comes after Puigdemont vowed to form a new government yesterday after the speaker of the Catalan parliament proposed him as president of Catalunya following a snap election in December in which separatist parties just about won an absolute majority.
Zoido said the Guardia Civil were working ‘morning, noon and night’ to prevent Puigdemont’s return.
“He is fleeing Spanish justice and it cannot be he who determines the sequence of events,” he added.
Madrid has said it is not legally possible for Puigdemont to rule from exile.
- BREAKING: Reports of Vodafone being down in Spain - 18 Jun, 2019 @ 15:29
- WARNING: How meticulous thieves are robbing your homes while you enjoy days at the beach along Spain’s Costa del Sol - 17 Jun, 2019 @ 17:06
- Luxury brands continue to bet on Marbella’s Puerto Banus as Hermes, Versace and Fendi to set up shop - 17 Jun, 2019 @ 13:09
- Rival the yachts of Marbella this summer with this HUGE inflatable boat from Amazon - 17 Jun, 2019 @ 11:55
- REVEALED: British flyers behind soar in on-flight incidents in Spain as Malaga, Alicante and Mallorca most affected by bad behaviour - 17 Jun, 2019 @ 11:24
- IN PICS: The stunning 16th century estate going up for auction in Spain - 16 Jun, 2019 @ 09:07
- Fake goods costing Spain and EU billions each year - 15 Jun, 2019 @ 08:38
- Brothers cuffed after trying to stuff 11 champagne bottles down one of their tops in huge shoplifting FAIL on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 17:22
- British tourists still flocking to Spain’s Malaga as first quarter of 2019 shows almost 10% increase in hotel stays - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 17:04
- 8 things you didn’t know were ILLEGAL to do at the beach on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 12:29