THE growing tide of sexual harassment, initiated from accusations levelled at disgraced Hollywood film mogul, Harvey Weinstein, has now reached the world of sport.
Formula One has said it will scrap using women as grid girls at the start of a race.
Organisers say using the girls ‘does not resonate with our brand values and clearly at odds with modern-day societal norms’.
The changes will kick-in at the start of the F1 season in Melbourne, Australia on March 25.
Grid girls are often seen carrying the driver’s race numbers and starting position on the line as well as appearing alongside the top three drivers as they take to the podium to collect their trophies.
“Over the last year we have looked at a number of areas which we felt needed updating so as to be more in tune with our vision for this great sport,” said F1 boss Sean Bratches.
“We don’t believe the practice is appropriate or relevant to Formula 1 and its fans, old and new, across the world.”
This comes after the Professional Darts Corporation’s decision to end the long-established practice of women leading male players to the stage.
But not everyone is happy with the news and has been criticised by some as going too far.
Former F1 boss Bernie Ecclestone says he cannot see why a ‘good looking’ woman standing next to a driver at the start of a race could be ‘offensive’.
While model Kelly Brook, 38, who used to work as an F1 flag girl, said: “It’s a well-paid job. It’s one of the best jobs I ever had.
“You dress glamorously and obviously it’s about being presentable but I never felt I was taken advantage of.”
- Doctor called in to help podgy population lose weight in a Spanish town - 25 Feb, 2018 @ 12:30
- Flu pandemic in Spain leads to rising death toll - 25 Feb, 2018 @ 10:30
- Spanish hospitals charging tourists double for care in Barcelona - 20 Feb, 2018 @ 13:37
- Spain gets its first beer spa in Andalucia - 20 Feb, 2018 @ 12:06
- Spain vows to send more police officers to combat ‘narcos state’ in Cadiz - 20 Feb, 2018 @ 10:50
- Spanish singer Marta Sanchez causes controversy with rendition of national anthem - 19 Feb, 2018 @ 15:06
- Spain’s SpaceX satellite launch in California delayed by four days - 19 Feb, 2018 @ 13:43
- Spain’s finance minister fails to impress MEPs for European Central Bank role - 19 Feb, 2018 @ 12:47
- UN set to inspect migrant situation in Spain - 19 Feb, 2018 @ 11:07
- Chasing corruption: Tracking Spain’s nine biggest corruption cases in 2018 - 17 Feb, 2018 @ 11:11