REVELLERS will be out in force to celebrate Mallorca’s historical carnival – Sa Rua.
Being known around the world as Pancake Day, Mardi Gras, Shrove Tuesday, it seems everyone has a different name for it.
Touted as a smaller version of the Rio Carnival, costumes and floats fill the streets while Venetian masks and vibrant colours ensure a touch of class the weekend before the February 13 holiday.
Of course Palma will be the epicentre of the party as live music bellows out in honour of the beginning of Lent, which many of the islands Roman Catholic population know as the most holy time of year.
Almost all towns have contests with cash prizes awarded in many different categories, such as best costume and best parade float.
Many towns will be celebrating on February 10 or 11, check with the nearest town hall for more details.
This year’s Palma parade will begin at La Rambla, then go to Carrer de la Riera, carrer Unió, Plaça de Joan Carles I and Avinguda Jaume III.
If you’re worried about your children, don’t be, a children day usually precedes the main event by a day so look out for Sa Rueta celebrations as you prepare for Sa Rua.
Known as the most colourful day in Palma with local street food around every corner, the festival takes pride in highlighting creativity and innovation on the Balearic Islands.
- Sexy gingers who want a trip to Ibiza CLICK HERE - 25 Apr, 2019 @ 16:35
- The most beautiful village in Mallorca has been named - 12 Dec, 2018 @ 10:56
- Gender violence a top priority for New Police Commissioner of the Balearics - 11 Dec, 2018 @ 17:03
- Environmentalists call for huge expansion of the Cabrera National Park - 11 Dec, 2018 @ 15:50
- Promenade promises to create a whole new look for visitors arriving in Palma - 5 Nov, 2018 @ 11:13
- Five dead – including British tourists – and dozens still missing in Mallorca’s biggest flood in decades - 10 Oct, 2018 @ 10:11
- British tourist found floating in Ibiza’s Port of Sant Antoni - 6 Aug, 2018 @ 11:58
- Young expat starts campaign to raise awareness against balconing in Spain - 6 Aug, 2018 @ 11:09
- Boat propeller hacks off arm and leg of two young tourists in Spain - 1 Aug, 2018 @ 14:48
- Nit de L’Art and a month long Jazz festival coming to Sa Pobla - 23 Jul, 2018 @ 08:42