THE body of a missing eight-year-old boy has been found in the boot of a car.
Gabriel Ruiz, who vanished more than a week ago, was found in the boot of his father’s girlfriend’s car.
She has been arrested as the investigation continues.
The Guardia Civil arrested her as she was transporting the corpse of the small boy in the trunk of her car.
As she was arrested she shouted out: “it wasn’t me. I only got the car this morning.” She was told in turn to: ‘shut up’ by a policeman.
Interior minister Ignacio Zoido has already told the parents of the child of his deep pain and shock.
He has also asked the media not to ‘hinder’ the work of police as ‘we are in the crucial hours of investigation.’
He also asked that no hoaxes or fake reports be issued.
The body was found at around 2pm today after more than a weeks search involving around 700 volunteers.
The story went viral on social media soon after he disappeared last Tuesday, with users posting pictures and drawings of fish in support.
Prime Minister Mariano Rajoy offered his condolences on Twitter, saying: “I share with all Spaniards the pain for the loss of Gabriel, MR, #TodosSomosGabriel.”
Cristina Cifuentes, president of the Community of Madrid, has also shared her condolences to the family through the same social network.
It comes a week after clothing containing DNA of Gabriel Cruz was found 10km from his hometown Nijar, in Almeria.
It was found by the boy’s father and his partner on Saturday next to a treatment plant near Barranco de Las Aguilas, in Las Negras, Nijar.
The investigation continues.
- BREAKING: British airline goes into administration with ALL flights to Europe cancelled, cites Brexit as major factor - 16 Feb, 2019 @ 20:10
- WATCH: New Marbella Arena to host string of ‘international artists’ and events this summer after signing deal with global events company - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 15:06
- ‘ABSOLUTE CHAOS’: Ryanair flight from Glasgow to Malaga diverted after violent ‘hen party brawl’ - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 13:37
- War to be waged against plastic in Gibraltar following deaths of ‘magnificent’ birds - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 11:18
- CASTING CALL: US Netflix series to film in Malaga and Marbella and needs extras THIS WEEKEND - 14 Feb, 2019 @ 14:38
- Neanderthal FOOTPRINT found in Gibraltar by crack team of British and Spanish scientists - 14 Feb, 2019 @ 14:08
- Elderly couple discover multiple sets of human remains in newly bought home on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 14 Feb, 2019 @ 13:27
- ANOTHER bank leaves Gibraltar ‘thanks to Brexit’ as opposition party calls on government to encourage big businesses to stay on the Rock - 13 Feb, 2019 @ 17:53
- British drug dealer cuffed ‘outside military establishment’ in Gibraltar carrying large amounts of cocaine - 13 Feb, 2019 @ 15:37
- IN PICS: Torching of Marbella beach club – favourite of Pamela Anderson and Eva Longoria – ‘most likely settling of accounts’, police reveal - 13 Feb, 2019 @ 13:20