THE body of a missing eight-year-old boy has been found in the boot of a car.
Gabriel Ruiz, who vanished more than a week ago, was found in the boot of his father’s girlfriend’s car.
She has been arrested as the investigation continues.
The Guardia Civil arrested her as she was transporting the corpse of the small boy in the trunk of her car.
As she was arrested she shouted out: “it wasn’t me. I only got the car this morning.” She was told in turn to: ‘shut up’ by a policeman.
Interior minister Ignacio Zoido has already told the parents of the child of his deep pain and shock.
He has also asked the media not to ‘hinder’ the work of police as ‘we are in the crucial hours of investigation.’
He also asked that no hoaxes or fake reports be issued.
The body was found at around 2pm today after more than a weeks search involving around 700 volunteers.
The story went viral on social media soon after he disappeared last Tuesday, with users posting pictures and drawings of fish in support.
Prime Minister Mariano Rajoy offered his condolences on Twitter, saying: “I share with all Spaniards the pain for the loss of Gabriel, MR, #TodosSomosGabriel.”
Cristina Cifuentes, president of the Community of Madrid, has also shared her condolences to the family through the same social network.
It comes a week after clothing containing DNA of Gabriel Cruz was found 10km from his hometown Nijar, in Almeria.
It was found by the boy’s father and his partner on Saturday next to a treatment plant near Barranco de Las Aguilas, in Las Negras, Nijar.
The investigation continues.
- 7 times town halls in Spain had us screaming ‘what were they thinking?’ - 19 May, 2019 @ 16:21
- Left-wing government could spell trouble for property investors - 19 May, 2019 @ 09:59
- GUILTY: Westley Capper and Craig Porter verdict in but ‘both will AVOID JAIL’ over Agnese Klavina disappearance, Capper to appeal - 17 May, 2019 @ 19:48
- IN PICS: The jobs of the past in Spain made (almost) obsolete by modern life - 17 May, 2019 @ 14:16
- REVEALED: The 5 towns in Malaga set to receive FREE public wifi thanks to EU initiative - 16 May, 2019 @ 14:24
- WATCH: Afilador plies his trade on Costa del Sol as one of the last to practice long-held Spanish tradition - 16 May, 2019 @ 12:40
- FLAG-RANT: Fabian Picardo steps in after American cruise ship infuriates Gibraltar with ‘Welcome to Gibraltor’ message printed on Spanish flag - 16 May, 2019 @ 11:09
- WATCH: Dramatic rescue after two ‘narco boats’ collide off Spain’s Costa del Sol - 15 May, 2019 @ 15:29
- Mystery as expat and two Lithuanians found in busted van carrying €1 MILLION CASH en route to Malaga – but NONE of them claim ownership - 15 May, 2019 @ 12:31
- ‘SOMEONE MUST KNOW’: Grandmother of missing British lad who vanished with his father from Spain’s Costa del Sol makes heartfelt appeal - 15 May, 2019 @ 10:45