THIS is the moment Ana Julia Quezada was arrested today after police discovered the dead body of missing Gabriel Ruiz in her car boot.
The woman, of Dominican origin, became the main suspect when she found Gabriel’s shirt ‘in a casual way’ when she was walking with his father during a search last week.
Police delayed her detention thinking that the child could have still been alive.
As she was arrested she shouted out: “it wasn’t me. I only got the car this morning.” She was told in turn to: ‘shut up’ by a policeman.
Ana Julia moved from Burgos to Las Negras, a hamlet of Níjar (Almería), five years ago with her former partner, a man from Burgos, with whom she set up a cafeteria in a small shopping center.
The business had been open for just over a year when the couple broke up and she started a relationship with Ángel Cruz, Gabriel’s father.
A few months ago, the Dominican moved out.
The Guardia Civil arrested her as she was transporting the corpse of the small boy in the trunk of her car.
Interior minister Ignacio Zoido has already told the parents of the child of his deep pain and shock.
He has also asked the media not to ‘hinder’ the work of police as ‘we are in the crucial hours of investigation.’
He also asked that no hoaxes or fake reports be issued.
The body was found at around 2pm today after more than a weeks search involving around 700 volunteers.
The story went viral on social media soon after he disappeared last Tuesday, with users posting pictures and drawings of fish in support.
Gabriel was nicknamed ‘pescaito’ by his mother thanks to his favourite film, Finding Nemo.
Prime Minister Mariano Rajoy offered his condolences on Twitter, saying: “I share with all Spaniards the pain for the loss of Gabriel, MR, #TodosSomosGabriel.”
Cristina Cifuentes, president of the Community of Madrid, has also shared her condolences to the family through the same social network.
It comes a week after clothing containing DNA of Gabriel Cruz was found 10km from his hometown Nijar, in Almeria.
It was found by the boy’s father and his partner on Saturday next to a treatment plant near Barranco de Las Aguilas, in Las Negras, Nijar.
The investigation continues.
- Conservative deputy mayor arrested after police find HUNDREDS of marijuana plants growing in his home in Spain’s Andalucia - 18 Jul, 2019 @ 17:13
- Expat Marbella restaurant owner and bikini-model girlfriend arrested on money laundering and drug charges as Costa del Sol home raided - 18 Jul, 2019 @ 16:09
- MUST READ: How to survive a rip current following deaths of two swimmers on Costa del Sol beach - 16 Jul, 2019 @ 11:43
- Man becomes second to die off Costa del Sol beach in just 15 days - 15 Jul, 2019 @ 16:35
- BRACE YOURSELVES: Hot winds to bring temperatures of up to 39C on Spain’s Costa del Sol TODAY - 15 Jul, 2019 @ 10:27
- WATCH: Stingray capable of killing humans spotted on shore metres from children on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 13 Jul, 2019 @ 09:13
- British expats arrested and fined in new crackdown on ‘pirate taxis’ at Malaga airport - 11 Jul, 2019 @ 14:31
- BREAKING: Body washes up on beach near Marbella’s exclusive Golden Mile - 11 Jul, 2019 @ 14:05
- HE’S THE DADDY: Court rules Javier Santos IS the love child of Spanish superstar Julio Iglesias - 10 Jul, 2019 @ 18:01
- ‘WRONG MESSAGE’: Young man who accidentally killed drug addict while stopping him from robbing helpless cleaner on Spain’s Costa del Sol given two-year prison sentence and HUGE fine - 9 Jul, 2019 @ 12:37