THE worst storm of the year – dubbed storm Félix – swept in leaving widespread flooding and injuries across Spain.
Four people were hospitalised in Galicia in two separate incidents when trees blew over onto roads.
Meanwhile dozens of streets in Jerez de la Frontera were left under water by some of the heaviest rain for decades.
The mayor of Jerez today visited the areas affected by the flooding, which has left many forced out of their homes.
In other incidents, three people had to be rescued from the roof of their car by firemen in Badajoz, while mudslides in San Sebastian left a family of five homeless.
Train lines meanwhile, were shut near Madrid, while ski resorts around the country, including the Sierra Nevada, have been shut due to the risk of strong winds.
An incredible 175 litres per m2 of rain fell in various parts of the country in just 24 hours.
A total of 47 provinces in Spain remain under alert of high winds and flooding this Sunday.
At least four provinces, including Asturias and Galicia, we’re issued red alert warnings for winds of up to 140kph.
All of Andalucia was issued a yellow warning, as well as Alicante and Mallorca.
Waves of up to nine metres have been registered in Galicia, while snow warnings have been issued in any areas higher than 1500 metres.
- The Cat’s Whiskers: Is Sierra de Gata Spain’s most delightful region? - 16 Feb, 2019 @ 10:00
- Why Sotogrande’s La Gran Reserva is one of Andalucia’s most exciting new developments - 23 Nov, 2018 @ 12:15
- How the Olive Press has survived 300 issues – and is continuing to grow - 14 Sep, 2018 @ 09:48
- How a Costa del Sol-based financial services business gives back to the community - 18 Aug, 2018 @ 16:58
- ‘Evil’ monkey dubbed Dracula robs British family of cash and passports on Gibraltar’s Skywalk - 22 Jul, 2018 @ 12:32
- West End comes to Sotogrande in aid of charity - 24 Jun, 2018 @ 14:14
- Olive Press publisher Jon Clarke gets five star access to Spain’s three Michelin Star heroes - 1 Apr, 2018 @ 15:00
- NICE ONE SON: Valldemossa’s Son Viscos is the perfect B&B for a weekend escape - 21 Mar, 2018 @ 11:00
- El Bulli restaurant owner creates Spanish culinary encyclopedia - 18 Mar, 2018 @ 12:00
- Moorish makeover for relaunch of Andalucian teahouse on Costa de la Luz - 17 Mar, 2018 @ 14:00