The Romanian referee – who was appointed to officiate by Rugby Europe – had to be escorted from the pitch yesterday Spain’s shock 18-10 defeat to Belgium resulted in Romania qualifying.
Spain would have been guaranteed a spot in Japan if they had won, but their loss instead sent them into a repechage play-off, with Romania qualifying instead.
After the final whistle in Brussels, Spanish players angrily confronted Vlad Iordachescu, apparently over a perceived bias.
Spain captain Jaime Nava said his side had been ‘eliminated by external factors’, adding that ‘today rugby has lost.’
The controversial appointment follows that of Marius van der Westhuizen, who was removed from assistant refereeing duty at Twickenham at the weekend because he had attended an England training session.
- British girl, 9, dies on Spain’s Costa del Sol ‘after eating ice cream’ - 20 Feb, 2019 @ 09:03
- WATCH: ANOTHER Marbella chiringuito burned to the ground - 19 Feb, 2019 @ 16:47
- BREXIT UPDATE: Spain offers further assurances to British expats after meeting with campaigners - 19 Feb, 2019 @ 13:21
- TRAGIC APPEAL: British expat dad ‘drops dead’ at 39 leaving fiance and two children in desperate need on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 18 Feb, 2019 @ 14:49
- P**S TAKER: You can now pee in Donald Trump’s mouth thanks to expat bar owner in Spain - 18 Feb, 2019 @ 14:17
- Irish dog walker stumbles upon dead dolphin washed up on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 18 Feb, 2019 @ 13:33
- BREAKING: British airline goes into administration with ALL flights to Europe cancelled, cites Brexit as major factor - 16 Feb, 2019 @ 20:10
- WATCH: New Marbella Arena to host string of ‘international artists’ and events this summer after signing deal with global events company - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 15:06
- ‘ABSOLUTE CHAOS’: Ryanair flight from Glasgow to Malaga diverted after violent ‘hen party brawl’ - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 13:37
- War to be waged against plastic in Gibraltar following deaths of ‘magnificent’ birds - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 11:18