THREE men have been arrested in Polígono de Marratxí after they were discovered selling salmonella infused meat across Mallorca.
Police discovered 50 tonnes of expired frozen meat in a processing facility – which has now been shut down – set for sale to the public.
The men are accused of a number of crimes against public health and social security as well as forgery.
The illegal operation was discovered after a customer complained about the quality of meat they had purchased.
Laboratory tests discovered that the dodgy meat contained salmonella.
Police raided the meat company for the first time on March 8, discovering that the firm was changing and falsifying expiry dates on their products so that they could sell gone-off meat.
The company also flaunted sanitary rules, thawing meat in hot water and adding pig blood to minced meat to increase the weight and therefore sale price.
In addition to the meat discovered in the storage facility, police discovered 30 tonnes of frozen meat that had expired aboard a boat belonging to one of the men.
Other food products were also found aboard, including smoked salmon, cooked octopus and canned tins whose expiration date was over three years before in some instances.
Police described the smell as ‘nauseating’.
The employees of the company have also filed a complaint against the men arrested, arguing they were exploited.
They claim they only received salaries of between €600 and €900 despite working from 6am to 4pm from Monday to Saturday.
The investigation continues.
- WATCH: Two elderly women caught on camera stealing outdoor furniture from British expat’s bar in Mallorca as police drive by - 21 Feb, 2019 @ 17:46
- FREAK FEBRUARY: ‘Anti-cyclone’ scorcher to see temperatures soar to 28C in Spain’s Andalucia this weekend - 21 Feb, 2019 @ 11:06
- British girl, 9, dies on Spain’s Costa del Sol ‘after eating ice cream’ - 20 Feb, 2019 @ 09:03
- WATCH: ANOTHER Marbella chiringuito burned to the ground - 19 Feb, 2019 @ 16:47
- BREXIT UPDATE: Spain offers further assurances to British expats after meeting with campaigners - 19 Feb, 2019 @ 13:21
- TRAGIC APPEAL: British expat dad ‘drops dead’ at 39 leaving fiance and two children in desperate need on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 18 Feb, 2019 @ 14:49
- P**S TAKER: You can now pee in Donald Trump’s mouth thanks to expat bar owner in Spain - 18 Feb, 2019 @ 14:17
- Irish dog walker stumbles upon dead dolphin washed up on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 18 Feb, 2019 @ 13:33
- BREAKING: British airline goes into administration with ALL flights to Europe cancelled, cites Brexit as major factor - 16 Feb, 2019 @ 20:10
- WATCH: New Marbella Arena to host string of ‘international artists’ and events this summer after signing deal with global events company - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 15:06