DOOR-TO-DOOR inspections of unlicensed tourist rentals are set to kick off next month.
Popular tourist spots will become the target of agents from the Agencia Tributaria, the Tax Agency.
The agents are looking for owners who are offering undeclared short-term rentals that are not registered and do not pay tax.
Meanwhile, all internet platforms such as airbnb and Tripadvisor, as well as real estate agencies, will need to include the license numbers for any properties advertised from July.
Companies will also be responsible for sending past information, from all tourist rentals since January 1.
Last year, the Olive Press reported how an expat was fined €60,000 after he was caught renting out his property without the correct paperwork last August.
The businessman had been stung when he was visited by an inspector after expecting to rent his €3,000-a-week property to a family-of-four from Madrid.
“He turned up and the first thing he asked for was my licence number,” the Can Pastilla restaurant owner revealed.
“He had booked through Airbnb so there was nothing I could do – I lost a whole week’s money.”
Luckily for him he was able to get away with paying half the fine within an agreed two week period.
- Sexy gingers who want a trip to Ibiza CLICK HERE - 25 Apr, 2019 @ 16:35
- The most beautiful village in Mallorca has been named - 12 Dec, 2018 @ 10:56
- Gender violence a top priority for New Police Commissioner of the Balearics - 11 Dec, 2018 @ 17:03
- Environmentalists call for huge expansion of the Cabrera National Park - 11 Dec, 2018 @ 15:50
- Promenade promises to create a whole new look for visitors arriving in Palma - 5 Nov, 2018 @ 11:13
- Five dead – including British tourists – and dozens still missing in Mallorca’s biggest flood in decades - 10 Oct, 2018 @ 10:11
- British tourist found floating in Ibiza’s Port of Sant Antoni - 6 Aug, 2018 @ 11:58
- Young expat starts campaign to raise awareness against balconing in Spain - 6 Aug, 2018 @ 11:09
- Boat propeller hacks off arm and leg of two young tourists in Spain - 1 Aug, 2018 @ 14:48
- Nit de L’Art and a month long Jazz festival coming to Sa Pobla - 23 Jul, 2018 @ 08:42