The building in Fuengirola was advertised as a private members’ club to ‘promote the excellence and therapeutic qualities of cannabis’.
Police found 12 members smoking hashish and cannabis inside, including two Germans and two undocumented men, who are facing fines under the Protection of Citizens’ Security law.
Agents arrested a Moroccan man, the owner of the club, for his alleged involvement in drug trafficking.
Some 432 grams of marijuana, 345 grams of hashish, a knife for cutting, containers for classifying drugs, documentation, cannabis sweets and bottles containing CBD, a component of cannabis were all seized during the raid.
The premises have been sealed as the investiagtion continues.
Private cannabis clubs are popular on the Costa del Sol and are a growing trend.
The clubs are non-profit associations which grow cannabis and sell it at cost to its members via membership fees.
The clubs are allowed to hold around 5g of the drug on their premises per member, in line with Spanish laws on personal possession.
The Junta commissioned a study by criminal law professors on the ‘Therapeutic use of cannabis and the creation of establishments of acquisition and consumption’.
The study found such clubs are legal as long as they distribute only to a restricted list of legal adults, provide only the amount of drugs necessary for immediate consumption, and do not earn a profit.
But their legal situation has remained uncertain after the Junta never formally accepted the guidelines.
- 7 times town halls in Spain had us screaming ‘what were they thinking?’ - 19 May, 2019 @ 16:21
- Left-wing government could spell trouble for property investors - 19 May, 2019 @ 09:59
- GUILTY: Westley Capper and Craig Porter verdict in but ‘both will AVOID JAIL’ over Agnese Klavina disappearance, Capper to appeal - 17 May, 2019 @ 19:48
- IN PICS: The jobs of the past in Spain made (almost) obsolete by modern life - 17 May, 2019 @ 14:16
- REVEALED: The 5 towns in Malaga set to receive FREE public wifi thanks to EU initiative - 16 May, 2019 @ 14:24
- WATCH: Afilador plies his trade on Costa del Sol as one of the last to practice long-held Spanish tradition - 16 May, 2019 @ 12:40
- FLAG-RANT: Fabian Picardo steps in after American cruise ship infuriates Gibraltar with ‘Welcome to Gibraltor’ message printed on Spanish flag - 16 May, 2019 @ 11:09
- WATCH: Dramatic rescue after two ‘narco boats’ collide off Spain’s Costa del Sol - 15 May, 2019 @ 15:29
- Mystery as expat and two Lithuanians found in busted van carrying €1 MILLION CASH en route to Malaga – but NONE of them claim ownership - 15 May, 2019 @ 12:31
- ‘SOMEONE MUST KNOW’: Grandmother of missing British lad who vanished with his father from Spain’s Costa del Sol makes heartfelt appeal - 15 May, 2019 @ 10:45