The fight, which broke out in a bar in the north, saw two policemen and their partners injured.
But the eight defendants, aged 19-24 and whose trial began today in Madrid, could face up to 50 years in jail after they were charged under anti-terrorism laws.
“Terrorism charges against eight people involved in a bar brawl, during which two law enforcement officers and their partners were injured, must be dropped and the incident investigated in line with ordinary criminal procedure,” Amnesty International said.
Eda Seyhan, Amnesty International campaigner on Counter Terrorism, added: “This prosecution represents a blatant misuse of Spain’s counter-terrorism laws. While injuring people of course warrants criminal investigation, charges of terrorism are entirely inappropriate and must be dropped.
“This case is emblematic of the dangers that lurk within overly-broad and vaguely worded legislation, which can be used to criminalize behaviour that is far removed from any threat of terrorism.”
Amnesty International has long criticized Spain’s broad counter-terrorism laws and warned against amendments in 2015 that expanded the definition of terrorism in Spain.
The fight broke out in a bar in Alsasua, northern Spain, in October 2016.
Three of the accused have been in pre-trial detention since November 2016.
According to Amnesty International, one of the defendants is accused of making ‘terrorist’ threats, with a potential prison sentence of twelve-and-a-half years, based solely on the fact that they said to the officers:
“This is what you will get every time you come here”.
The hearing is due to end on April 27.
- Woody Allen to film new project across Spain after securing financing from Spanish company despite sexual abuse allegations which saw him dumped by Amazon - 22 Feb, 2019 @ 11:28
- WATCH: Two elderly women caught on camera stealing outdoor furniture from British expat’s bar in Mallorca as police drive by - 21 Feb, 2019 @ 17:46
- FREAK FEBRUARY: ‘Anti-cyclone’ scorcher to see temperatures soar to 28C in Spain’s Andalucia this weekend - 21 Feb, 2019 @ 11:06
- British girl, 9, dies on Spain’s Costa del Sol ‘after eating ice cream’ - 20 Feb, 2019 @ 09:03
- WATCH: ANOTHER Marbella chiringuito burned to the ground - 19 Feb, 2019 @ 16:47
- BREXIT UPDATE: Spain offers further assurances to British expats after meeting with campaigners - 19 Feb, 2019 @ 13:21
- TRAGIC APPEAL: British expat dad ‘drops dead’ at 39 leaving fiance and two children in desperate need on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 18 Feb, 2019 @ 14:49
- P**S TAKER: You can now pee in Donald Trump’s mouth thanks to expat bar owner in Spain - 18 Feb, 2019 @ 14:17
- Irish dog walker stumbles upon dead dolphin washed up on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 18 Feb, 2019 @ 13:33
- BREAKING: British airline goes into administration with ALL flights to Europe cancelled, cites Brexit as major factor - 16 Feb, 2019 @ 20:10