The fight, which broke out in a bar in the north, saw two policemen and their partners injured.
But the eight defendants, aged 19-24 and whose trial began today in Madrid, could face up to 50 years in jail after they were charged under anti-terrorism laws.
“Terrorism charges against eight people involved in a bar brawl, during which two law enforcement officers and their partners were injured, must be dropped and the incident investigated in line with ordinary criminal procedure,” Amnesty International said.
Eda Seyhan, Amnesty International campaigner on Counter Terrorism, added: “This prosecution represents a blatant misuse of Spain’s counter-terrorism laws. While injuring people of course warrants criminal investigation, charges of terrorism are entirely inappropriate and must be dropped.
“This case is emblematic of the dangers that lurk within overly-broad and vaguely worded legislation, which can be used to criminalize behaviour that is far removed from any threat of terrorism.”
Amnesty International has long criticized Spain’s broad counter-terrorism laws and warned against amendments in 2015 that expanded the definition of terrorism in Spain.
The fight broke out in a bar in Alsasua, northern Spain, in October 2016.
Three of the accused have been in pre-trial detention since November 2016.
According to Amnesty International, one of the defendants is accused of making ‘terrorist’ threats, with a potential prison sentence of twelve-and-a-half years, based solely on the fact that they said to the officers:
“This is what you will get every time you come here”.
The hearing is due to end on April 27.
- Brazilian soldier from convoy of President Bolsonaro arrested for smuggling cocaine into Spain’s Sevilla after controversial leader vowed to crack down on drugs - 26 Jun, 2019 @ 12:41
- One hospitalised as roaring chemical plant fire in San Roque is brought under control - 25 Jun, 2019 @ 20:27
- Gibraltar says ‘no cause for concern’ as toxic smoke from San Roque chemical fire unlikely to affect British territory - 25 Jun, 2019 @ 17:55
- Firefighters near San Roque chemical fire warn of toxic smoke as Gibraltar government advises residents to CLOSE WINDOWS and doors - 25 Jun, 2019 @ 17:35
- WATCH: Homes evacuated as huge chemical fire ‘covers cars in ash’ and ‘turns sky dark’ near Spain’s Costa del Sol - 25 Jun, 2019 @ 16:59
- IN VIDEOS: HUGE mushroom cloud of toxic black smoke as fire BLAZES at chemical plant near Spain’s Costa del Sol - 25 Jun, 2019 @ 16:16
- BREAKING: Incident at San Roque oil refinery as flames and smoke billow from plant - 25 Jun, 2019 @ 15:54
- PLEASE SHARE: British teen launches last-ditch appeal to find dad who vanished from Spain’s Costa Blanca almost 10 years ago - 25 Jun, 2019 @ 15:34
- Shots fired at mosque in Spain - 25 Jun, 2019 @ 14:37
- BLUFFING MUFFINS: WARNING as batches of ‘fake gluten and dairy free’ magdalenas across Spain at risk of causing widespread allergic reactions - 25 Jun, 2019 @ 14:27