According to the National Geographic Institute, the quake, with an epicentre in Gaucin, took place at 13:13, some 12km under the ground.
The quake was felt in Gaucin, Ronda and parts of Cadiz, with noticeable tremors.
According to the fire service, there has been no significant structural damage reported.
In Algatocín, a secondary school, Instituto de Enseñanza Secundaria (IES) ‘Valle del Genal’ has been evacuated as part of earthquake protocol.
Mayor Pedro Godino said classes have been suspended after part of the roof was damaged.
The CPB of Malaga has received many calls, mostly from Algatocín, Benaoján and Jimera de Líbar, from residents demanding information and warning of ‘considerable movement’.
- British girl, 9, dies on Spain’s Costa del Sol ‘after eating ice cream’ - 20 Feb, 2019 @ 09:03
- WATCH: ANOTHER Marbella chiringuito burned to the ground - 19 Feb, 2019 @ 16:47
- BREXIT UPDATE: Spain offers further assurances to British expats after meeting with campaigners - 19 Feb, 2019 @ 13:21
- TRAGIC APPEAL: British expat dad ‘drops dead’ at 39 leaving fiance and two children in desperate need on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 18 Feb, 2019 @ 14:49
- P**S TAKER: You can now pee in Donald Trump’s mouth thanks to expat bar owner in Spain - 18 Feb, 2019 @ 14:17
- Irish dog walker stumbles upon dead dolphin washed up on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 18 Feb, 2019 @ 13:33
- BREAKING: British airline goes into administration with ALL flights to Europe cancelled, cites Brexit as major factor - 16 Feb, 2019 @ 20:10
- WATCH: New Marbella Arena to host string of ‘international artists’ and events this summer after signing deal with global events company - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 15:06
- ‘ABSOLUTE CHAOS’: Ryanair flight from Glasgow to Malaga diverted after violent ‘hen party brawl’ - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 13:37
- War to be waged against plastic in Gibraltar following deaths of ‘magnificent’ birds - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 11:18