A SERIES of brochures and plaques are to go up highlighting the good work of the Balearic tourist tax.
The plaques are to be erected at sites funded by the controversial tax that doubles in summer and has been unpopular with some tourists abroad.
The plan is to explain what the tax is for and to highlight the various areas where it has been used.
From May to October, adult visitors will pay a fee per night, with a 50% discount after nine days. Hotels with a 5-star rating have a tax of 4€ per night, which is reduced to only 1€ in the off season, while 4-star hotels are €3.
Holiday rentals and 3-star hotels are €2 a night in season, and €0.50 in the low season.
Many other European cities have a similar tourist tax, with 5-star hotels in Italy costing €7 per person per night in Rome, and €5 in Florence.
In Berlin the tax is five percent of the hotel cost, and in Vienna and Salzburg, tourists pay just over three percent of the hotel bill.
In Bruges the fee is flat rate of €2 per person per night, while Brussels has complex formula that can be expensive.
Prague, Paris, Nice and Lyon all have a tourist tax below €2 a night.
Portugal, Hungary, and Greece also have a tourist tax paid at hotels.
- Sexy gingers who want a trip to Ibiza CLICK HERE - 25 Apr, 2019 @ 16:35
- The most beautiful village in Mallorca has been named - 12 Dec, 2018 @ 10:56
- Gender violence a top priority for New Police Commissioner of the Balearics - 11 Dec, 2018 @ 17:03
- Environmentalists call for huge expansion of the Cabrera National Park - 11 Dec, 2018 @ 15:50
- Promenade promises to create a whole new look for visitors arriving in Palma - 5 Nov, 2018 @ 11:13
- Five dead – including British tourists – and dozens still missing in Mallorca’s biggest flood in decades - 10 Oct, 2018 @ 10:11
- British tourist found floating in Ibiza’s Port of Sant Antoni - 6 Aug, 2018 @ 11:58
- Young expat starts campaign to raise awareness against balconing in Spain - 6 Aug, 2018 @ 11:09
- Boat propeller hacks off arm and leg of two young tourists in Spain - 1 Aug, 2018 @ 14:48
- Nit de L’Art and a month long Jazz festival coming to Sa Pobla - 23 Jul, 2018 @ 08:42