A BULGARIAN expat who brutally stabbed his mother to death after torturing her cats is being kept in a psychiatric ward on the Costa del Sol.
She died on Sunday after her 38-year-old son allegedly stabbed her 13 times on Calle Isla Finca in Fuengirola.
The incident occurred around 1pm, reported Diario Sur.
It is unclear whether the woman died at the scene of the crime or later in hospital.
After the man was detained the Policia Nacional discovered two dismembered dead cats, which he killed before his mother and are thought to have belonged to her.
The expat reportedly has a mental illness.
He appeared before a judge on Wednesday and was ordered to be placed under supervision in a Costa del Sol hospital.
The accused will remain there until he is stable enough to speak to investigators about the incident.
Until he is able to face questioning the motives behind the incident remain unclear.
The investigation continues.
- SHOP TO THE TOP: How did new Andalucia leader Juanma Moreno go from green grocer’s assistant to Junta boss? - 2 Feb, 2019 @ 12:00
- CANDY CRUSH: 400 of biggest brands in Spain set for huge sugar tax in bid to improve health - 2 Feb, 2019 @ 11:00
- British aristocrat ‘entirely unaware’ he had 7th century Spanish ornaments rotting away in back garden - 2 Feb, 2019 @ 10:00
- Spain will AGAIN fight for shared sovereignty over Gibraltar after Brexit - 29 Jan, 2019 @ 20:45
- British pensioners in Spain to lose free healthcare under no-deal Brexit - 29 Jan, 2019 @ 18:06
- Why the ancient Treasure of Guarrazar was ditched in a field in Spain - 27 Jan, 2019 @ 14:00
- Pioneering surgery performed on ‘inoperable’ patient with pancreatic cancer in Spain - 27 Jan, 2019 @ 10:00
- HEROES: These are the eight specialist miners working round-the-clock to rescue little Julen in Malaga - 25 Jan, 2019 @ 23:50
- Rescuers resume digging to reach little Julen after completing fourth controlled explosion in Malaga - 25 Jan, 2019 @ 23:02
- JULEN UPDATE: Two hours before miners in Malaga can resume digging - 25 Jan, 2019 @ 21:03