SPANISH rapper Valtonyc has fled Spain to avoid going to prison after being convicted for ‘glorifying terrorism’ in his lyrics.
Sources say the Mallorquin artist has gone into exile either to Switzerland or Belgium, where he intends to continue campaigning for freedom of expression, revealed El Nacional.
On Thursday the 24-year-old was due to start his sentence and had 10 days to present himself at prison.
Valtonyc made it clear on Twitter today that he was not going to go without a fight.
Mañana es el día. Mañana van a tumbar la puerta de mi casa para meterme en la carcel. Por unas canciones. Mañana España va a hacer el ridículo, una vez más. No se lo voy a poner tan fácil, desobedecer es legítimo y obligación ante este estado fascista. Aquí no se rinde nadie.
— Josep V. ????? (@valtonyc) May 23, 2018
A tweet read: “Tomorrow is the day. Tomorrow they are going to knock down the door of my house to put me in prison, for some songs. Tomorrow Spain is going to make a fool of itself, once again. I am not going to make it so easy for them, disobeying is an obligation and is legitimate in the face of this fascist state. Nobody surrenders here.”
Reports say police were due to set up a surveillance team to track the rapper’s whereabouts and ensure he did not leave the island, yet he still managed to escape.
He had the option to choose his preferred prison but has instead fled the country.
It comes after the Sa Pobla rapper was sentenced to three and a half years in jail by Spain’s Supreme Court for his controversial lyrics last month.
He was convicted of glorifying terrorism, threatening right-wing politician Jorge Campos and making defamatory comments against the Spanish royal family.
- SHOP TO THE TOP: How did new Andalucia leader Juanma Moreno go from green grocer’s assistant to Junta boss? - 2 Feb, 2019 @ 12:00
- CANDY CRUSH: 400 of biggest brands in Spain set for huge sugar tax in bid to improve health - 2 Feb, 2019 @ 11:00
- British aristocrat ‘entirely unaware’ he had 7th century Spanish ornaments rotting away in back garden - 2 Feb, 2019 @ 10:00
- Spain will AGAIN fight for shared sovereignty over Gibraltar after Brexit - 29 Jan, 2019 @ 20:45
- British pensioners in Spain to lose free healthcare under no-deal Brexit - 29 Jan, 2019 @ 18:06
- Why the ancient Treasure of Guarrazar was ditched in a field in Spain - 27 Jan, 2019 @ 14:00
- Pioneering surgery performed on ‘inoperable’ patient with pancreatic cancer in Spain - 27 Jan, 2019 @ 10:00
- HEROES: These are the eight specialist miners working round-the-clock to rescue little Julen in Malaga - 25 Jan, 2019 @ 23:50
- Rescuers resume digging to reach little Julen after completing fourth controlled explosion in Malaga - 25 Jan, 2019 @ 23:02
- JULEN UPDATE: Two hours before miners in Malaga can resume digging - 25 Jan, 2019 @ 21:03