THE PSOE are close to having the votes they need to oust Prime Minister Mariano Rajoy at this Friday’s no-confidence vote.
Separatist MPs in Catalunya are likely to side with the Socialists when its leadership meets in Barcelona tonight.
According to people close to the discussions, Basque Nationalists are planning to follow the lead of the Catalans when they decide which way they will swing on Thursday morning.
If both join the PSOE in voting to remove Rajoy, they will join left-wing Podemos and have enough votes for Socialist leader Pedro Sanchez to take power.
A source told press PP leaders are starting to see defeat as the most likely outcome.
The only scenario in which the Basques would not join the PSOE would be if the Catalan separatists backed away at the last minute.
A person close to the Catalans’ leadership said such a decision was very unlikely, even though the outcome hasn’t been set in stone.
- British boy, 5, who drowned near Spain’s Costa del Sol was visiting expat granddad - 20 Jun, 2019 @ 13:48
- REVEALED: Spain to have ‘warmer than average’ summer with Costa del Sol among hottest areas - 20 Jun, 2019 @ 13:26
- ‘WE’RE BEING POISONED’: Video of ship billowing black fumes ‘onto people’s homes’ outrages Gibraltar residents - 20 Jun, 2019 @ 11:43
- BREAKING: Reports of Vodafone being down in Spain - 18 Jun, 2019 @ 15:29
- WARNING: How meticulous thieves are robbing your homes while you enjoy days at the beach along Spain’s Costa del Sol - 17 Jun, 2019 @ 17:06
- Luxury brands continue to bet on Marbella’s Puerto Banus as Hermes, Versace and Fendi to set up shop - 17 Jun, 2019 @ 13:09
- Rival the yachts of Marbella this summer with this HUGE inflatable boat from Amazon - 17 Jun, 2019 @ 11:55
- REVEALED: British flyers behind soar in on-flight incidents in Spain as Malaga, Alicante and Mallorca most affected by bad behaviour - 17 Jun, 2019 @ 11:24
- IN PICS: The stunning 16th century estate going up for auction in Spain - 16 Jun, 2019 @ 09:07
- Fake goods costing Spain and EU billions each year - 15 Jun, 2019 @ 08:38