Four donations during the month meant doctors were able to provide vital organs to patients, including kidneys, livers, hearts, lungs and six corneas.
Transplant coordinator José Manuel Galván praised the multidisciplinary team of doctors from different specialties for their efforts “These figures have been made possible thanks to the excellent work of all the professionals who make up the donation team of the hospital”.
So far this year the hospital has registered six multi-organ donations and one tissue donation. This has involved the removal of 23 organs, three hearts, four lungs, four livers, 12 kidneys and nine corneas, amongst others.
The number of donations has steadily increased over the past decade, from five during the whole of 2005 to 19 last year. This is partly the result of greater public awareness.
- BUSTED: €600 million empire which trafficked drugs into the UK and laundered money into Spain’s property market - 22 May, 2019 @ 18:38
- British most obsessed with doggy-style while Spain loves ‘cuckolding’, as new study reveals world’s sexual preferences - 22 May, 2019 @ 17:36
- WARNING: Multi-day heatwaves and life threatening temperatures coming to Spain this summer - 22 May, 2019 @ 16:25
- WE’VE GOT THE POWER: Dozens of expats fill up the ballot lists for vital local elections in Spain’s Andalucia - 22 May, 2019 @ 13:12
- HAY FEVER EPIDEMIC: Expert reveals why your allergies seem much worse in Spain this year - 22 May, 2019 @ 12:47
- Liverpool FC brings extreme security measures to Marbella football training ground ahead of Champions League final - 22 May, 2019 @ 10:35
- MISSING: British expat and dementia sufferer, 83, disappears on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 21 May, 2019 @ 11:25
- British expat arrested for starting forest fire on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 20 May, 2019 @ 21:15
- Top British rugby player fighting for his life after falling from major Spain airport car park - 20 May, 2019 @ 16:54
- British expat benefits cheat who stole more than €90,000 from UK coffers while living on Spain’s Costa del Sol given 900 YEARS to pay back debt - 20 May, 2019 @ 10:56