SPAIN has a new botched restoration on its hands.
It comes after the iconic botched Ecce Homo ‘restoration’ in 2012 went viral and sparked an international news storm – there was even an opera made based on the botched job.
The town of Borja actually saw tourism boom thanks to the well-meaning local lady’s efforts.
But now, a wooden sculpture of Saint George from the 1500s has received its own questionable restoration.
The sculpture takes pride of place in the Church of Saint Michael in Estella, Navarre.
The dragon-slaying warrior has been covered in a layer of paint that has eliminated all previously existing nuance, while his new mug looks straight out of an old TV cartoon.
It has now been taken down.
The Association of Conservators and Restorers of Spain (ACRE) said in a statement that the outcome ‘shows a frightening lack of training of the kind required for this sort of job.’
It has been revealed that church managers hired an arts-and-crafts workshop to carry out the restoration of a Gothic-era artwork.
Sources at the Pamplona archbishop’s office told the news agency EFE on Monday that the parish priest did not intend for the sculpture to get redone: “He just wanted to clean up a space that was dirty.”
Experts are working to analyse Saint George to see whether or not he can be brought back to his original look.
In the meantime, ACRE said it will file a legal complaint against the people in charge of ‘this unfortunate intervention’ that has resulted in ‘the destruction of part of Navarre’s cultural heritage.’
The mayor of Estella, Koldo Leoz said: “The restoration project should have been presented to the authorities first, and they should have waited to get the green light.”
- THERE’LL BE KILLINGS: Cadiz drug trafficker warns of BAZOOKAS and bodies on the streets if crackdown on smuggling across Strait of Gibraltar continues - 19 Apr, 2019 @ 13:10
- Irish company launches lifesaving ‘hangover care package’ for expats in Spain - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 12:09
- ‘WE’RE TERRIFIED’: Brother of missing British father who vanished from Spain’s Costa del Sol with son speaks out - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 11:29
- Drones which can photograph drivers using their mobile phone from 2km away launched in Spain TODAY - 17 Apr, 2019 @ 17:33
- BREAKING: Police arrest jihadist planning ‘massacre’ at Semana Santa parade in Spain’s Andalucia - 17 Apr, 2019 @ 15:52
- PREDATOR drones from US to patrol Strait of Gibraltar and Cadiz coast as Spain’s Guardia Civil fear surge in drug and people smuggling this summer - 17 Apr, 2019 @ 13:52
- Marbella’s iconic Villa Padierna hotel which hosted Michelle Obama changing hands - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 17:40
- Max Beach will reopen on Spain’s Costa del Sol this week with new look and night time venue planned for summer - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 17:06
- Bomb threat in Madrid declared false alarm as workers told they can return to work - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 14:16
- Bomb threat sees thousands evacuated from Madrid skyscraper home to British embassy - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 13:49