SPAIN has rejected a charity boat ferrying 230 migrants, saying it cannot be the ‘sea rescue organisation for all of Europe’.
Pedro Sanchez, the new Socialist prime minister, said there must be a ‘common answer’ to the growing crisis and that it must come from ‘various countries’ in the EU.
The ship is now heading to Malta.
Italian Prime Minister Giuseppe Conte said his country would take in some of the migrants.
Although it comes after his deputy prime minister, Matteo Salvini, tweeted that Italy had stopped an ‘invasion’ after forcing two charity boats to dock elsewhere.
Spain took in 630 migrants from the Gibraltar-registered Aquarius ship earlier this month after Malta and Italy refused.
- Man becomes second to die off Costa del Sol beach in just 15 days - 15 Jul, 2019 @ 16:35
- BRACE YOURSELVES: Hot winds to bring temperatures of up to 39C on Spain’s Costa del Sol TODAY - 15 Jul, 2019 @ 10:27
- WATCH: Stingray capable of killing humans spotted on shore metres from children on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 13 Jul, 2019 @ 09:13
- British expats arrested and fined in new crackdown on ‘pirate taxis’ at Malaga airport - 11 Jul, 2019 @ 14:31
- BREAKING: Body washes up on beach near Marbella’s exclusive Golden Mile - 11 Jul, 2019 @ 14:05
- HE’S THE DADDY: Court rules Javier Santos IS the love child of Spanish superstar Julio Iglesias - 10 Jul, 2019 @ 18:01
- ‘WRONG MESSAGE’: Young man who accidentally killed drug addict while stopping him from robbing helpless cleaner on Spain’s Costa del Sol given two-year prison sentence and HUGE fine - 9 Jul, 2019 @ 12:37
- British giant Virgin Trains eyes up moving into Spain market after UK becomes ‘uninvestable’ - 9 Jul, 2019 @ 11:49
- Expert says southern Spain and Balearics at ‘great risk’ of tsunamis but authorities ‘are not prepared’ - 9 Jul, 2019 @ 11:19
- Iconic restaurant on Spain’s Costa del Sol divides opinion over sign declaring it ‘Spanish, Catholic and rightwing’ - 8 Jul, 2019 @ 16:54