ANDALUCIA’S ‘Smurf Village’ has called an emergency meeting to tackle its growing image crisis.
Juzcar, near Ronda, was painted blue in 2011 after The Smurfs film used it as a marketing tool to promote the movie.
Since then, the village enjoyed a surge in tourism – around 50,000 visitors per year – bringing jobs and prosperity.
But since the heirs to the Smurf franchise took away Juzcar’s rights to associate with the characters, visitor numbers have fallen.
However, rumours that it is to be painted white again are untrue, confirmed local hotel owner Ivan Sastre Pascual.
“Every day people call to ask if the town isn’t blue anymore,” he said, “There are many rumours that are not true.”
On the boost that The Smurfs association brought the town, he added: “It’s a gravy train that happens once in a lifetime, and since we have got on board, we have to do everything possible to keep us there.”
- IN PICS: The stunning 16th century estate going up for auction in Spain - 16 Jun, 2019 @ 09:07
- Fake goods costing Spain and EU billions each year - 15 Jun, 2019 @ 08:38
- Brothers cuffed after trying to stuff 11 champagne bottles down one of their tops in huge shoplifting FAIL on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 17:22
- British tourists still flocking to Spain’s Malaga as first quarter of 2019 shows almost 10% increase in hotel stays - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 17:04
- 8 things you didn’t know were ILLEGAL to do at the beach on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 12:29
- Young paedo groomed at least 10 children across Spain’s Alicante, Andalucia and Valencia and paid them for explicit images while posing as underage girl online - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 11:26
- BREAKING: Barack Obama will be in Marbella TOMORROW for secret meeting at luxury hotel - 13 Jun, 2019 @ 16:50
- IN PICS: Game of Thrones stars party it up in Spain’s Benidorm for Sophie Turner’s hen do ahead of ‘official’ marriage to Joe Jonas - 13 Jun, 2019 @ 16:20
- Gibraltar police fuming after rumours ‘falsely claim’ drunk off duty officer started late night brawl at Pig & Whistle pub - 13 Jun, 2019 @ 15:45
- How a gang sold more than €1.5 million of drugs EVERY WEEK with the help of a Breaking Bad-style family in Cadiz – and how they spent it on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 13 Jun, 2019 @ 15:13