ANDALUCIA’S ‘Smurf Village’ has called an emergency meeting to tackle its growing image crisis.
Juzcar, near Ronda, was painted blue in 2011 after The Smurfs film used it as a marketing tool to promote the movie.
Since then, the village enjoyed a surge in tourism – around 50,000 visitors per year – bringing jobs and prosperity.
But since the heirs to the Smurf franchise took away Juzcar’s rights to associate with the characters, visitor numbers have fallen.
However, rumours that it is to be painted white again are untrue, confirmed local hotel owner Ivan Sastre Pascual.
“Every day people call to ask if the town isn’t blue anymore,” he said, “There are many rumours that are not true.”
On the boost that The Smurfs association brought the town, he added: “It’s a gravy train that happens once in a lifetime, and since we have got on board, we have to do everything possible to keep us there.”
- Irish company launches lifesaving ‘hangover care package’ for expats in Spain - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 12:09
- ‘WE’RE TERRIFIED’: Brother of missing British father who vanished from Spain’s Costa del Sol with son speaks out - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 11:29
- Drones which can photograph drivers using their mobile phone from 2km away launched in Spain TODAY - 17 Apr, 2019 @ 17:33
- BREAKING: Police arrest jihadist planning ‘massacre’ at Semana Santa parade in Spain’s Andalucia - 17 Apr, 2019 @ 15:52
- PREDATOR drones from US to patrol Strait of Gibraltar and Cadiz coast as Spain’s Guardia Civil fear surge in drug and people smuggling this summer - 17 Apr, 2019 @ 13:52
- Marbella’s iconic Villa Padierna hotel which hosted Michelle Obama changing hands - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 17:40
- Max Beach will reopen on Spain’s Costa del Sol this week with new look and night time venue planned for summer - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 17:06
- Bomb threat in Madrid declared false alarm as workers told they can return to work - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 14:16
- Bomb threat sees thousands evacuated from Madrid skyscraper home to British embassy - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 13:49
- BREAKING: Police continue evacuation of British embassy after alleged bomb threat on Madrid skyscraper - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 13:14