ALMOST 100 politicians and business leaders have been fingered in an Estepona corruption scandal.
The Anti-corruption Prosecutor’s Office has accused 51 people, including former PSOE mayor Antonio Barrientos, of being involved in the so-called Astapa corruption case.
It is seeking a 10-year sentence each for Barrientos, his chief of staff Jose Flores and former economy minister for the town Francisco Zamorano.
It is also seeking damages of €28 million, which is how much public money is believed to have been squandered, and has requested the sacking of a further 39 who still work at the town hall.
It comes after a ten-year probe into the case ended in May last year, when an Estepona court agreed to open proceedings against 95 people – although one has died and four have launched appeals.
In a 162-page indictment, produced last weekend, prosecutors allege the town hall had a backhander system that would see officials rewarded with gifts and kickbacks – mostly from real estate companies – in return for awarding contracts mostly in urban development.
The gifts included plasma TVs, trips, luxury watches, drinks at brothels and wire transfers either directly to officials or their family members.
Former mayor Barrientos, who has always maintained his innocence, is accused of bribery, influence peddling, money laundering and more.
Astapa was first uncovered on June 17 2008 as a result of a complaint filed by Socialist councilors David Valadez and Cristina Rodríguez.
Barrientos demanded that his right to the presumption of innocence be respected. “I am convinced that I will not disappoint all those who know me and have trusted in my performance,” he said.
- BREAKING: Reports of Vodafone being down in Spain - 18 Jun, 2019 @ 15:29
- WARNING: How meticulous thieves are robbing your homes while you enjoy days at the beach along Spain’s Costa del Sol - 17 Jun, 2019 @ 17:06
- Luxury brands continue to bet on Marbella’s Puerto Banus as Hermes, Versace and Fendi to set up shop - 17 Jun, 2019 @ 13:09
- Rival the yachts of Marbella this summer with this HUGE inflatable boat from Amazon - 17 Jun, 2019 @ 11:55
- REVEALED: British flyers behind soar in on-flight incidents in Spain as Malaga, Alicante and Mallorca most affected by bad behaviour - 17 Jun, 2019 @ 11:24
- IN PICS: The stunning 16th century estate going up for auction in Spain - 16 Jun, 2019 @ 09:07
- Fake goods costing Spain and EU billions each year - 15 Jun, 2019 @ 08:38
- Brothers cuffed after trying to stuff 11 champagne bottles down one of their tops in huge shoplifting FAIL on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 17:22
- British tourists still flocking to Spain’s Malaga as first quarter of 2019 shows almost 10% increase in hotel stays - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 17:04
- 8 things you didn’t know were ILLEGAL to do at the beach on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 12:29