Thanks to a hot air blast from the Sahara in Africa, the mercury is expected to reach 48C in parts of Andalucia today and a European record of 50C in Portugal.
It comes after a highway maintenance worker collapsed from heat stroke and died in Murcia yesterday.
The hottest regions in Europe will be around Sevilla and the Algarve in Portugal, with temperatures around 48C and 50C predicted.
Europe’s current all-time temperature record is 48.0C, set on July 10, 1977 in Athens, Greece, while Spain’s record is 47.3C, set in Cordoba last summer, and Portugal’s record is 47.4C, set in 2003.
Ex-BBC and Met Office forecaster John Hammond said: “Hell is (now) a place on Earth. Iberia is heating up to a potential 50C.”
Some 40 of Spain’s 50 provinces are on red alert, which means there is a serious threat to life.
Met Office forecaster Richard Miles told the Daily Star: “48C is the most realistic maximum temperature in inland Spain and Portugal, but there’s a chance it could be hotter. People on holiday should be careful in the heat.”
- Fake goods costing Spain and EU billions each year - 15 Jun, 2019 @ 08:38
- Brothers cuffed after trying to stuff 11 champagne bottles down one of their tops in huge shoplifting FAIL on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 17:22
- British tourists still flocking to Spain’s Malaga as first quarter of 2019 shows almost 10% increase in hotel stays - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 17:04
- 8 things you didn’t know were ILLEGAL to do at the beach on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 12:29
- Young paedo groomed at least 10 children across Spain’s Alicante, Andalucia and Valencia and paid them for explicit images while posing as underage girl online - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 11:26
- BREAKING: Barack Obama will be in Marbella TOMORROW for secret meeting at luxury hotel - 13 Jun, 2019 @ 16:50
- IN PICS: Game of Thrones stars party it up in Spain’s Benidorm for Sophie Turner’s hen do ahead of ‘official’ marriage to Joe Jonas - 13 Jun, 2019 @ 16:20
- Gibraltar police fuming after rumours ‘falsely claim’ drunk off duty officer started late night brawl at Pig & Whistle pub - 13 Jun, 2019 @ 15:45
- How a gang sold more than €1.5 million of drugs EVERY WEEK with the help of a Breaking Bad-style family in Cadiz – and how they spent it on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 13 Jun, 2019 @ 15:13
- Homes sealed off after explosion shatters windows more than 50 metres away on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 13 Jun, 2019 @ 11:35