PAUSE festival returns this month with five nights of open-air music and art in the spectacular mountain setting of the serranía de Ronda.
Around 20 international artists from the fields of classical, jazz, electronic, and the visual arts are taking part.
They include pianists Julien Brocal and Julien Libeer, and the cellist Camille Thomas who were loved by audiences last year, along with the American violinist Caroline Goulding, guitarist, percussionist Robin Scott Fleming, the trumpeter Franz Hautzinger, mezzo soprano Sarah Laulan and the extraordinary virtual reality performance artist Pauline Dufour.
The setting is a mountain stage at the ecological farm and retreat La Donaira (recently named Best Luxury Eco Hotel in Spain).
Evenings are truly festive with a party atmosphere and start with gourmet tapas and wine.
The concerts are up close and literally laidback – with audiences given the option to enjoy the music while lying back on soft cushions while stargazing.
Again, making a break with concert recitals, the nightly programmes – decided by the artists – are to be a surprise. But we can say they’ll follow the themes of fire, earth, water, air and spirit and involve unique magical collaborations.
Pause festival launches on August 14 with celebrations in El Gastor (Cádiz) and a special free concert in Iglesía San José by local choirs – who’ll be performing a new work by avant-garde composer Rupert Huber (starts 21:00, seats can be reserved via the pause website).
Described as possibly the most intimate and beautiful music festival in the world, Pause launched last summer in collaboration with the pianist Maria João Pires with the idea of bringing performance out of city concert halls and into the wild, natural settings that inspire us. For audiences – and artists – it’s a chance to pause from hectic lives and see both man and nature at their creative best.
DATES AND ACTS
Opening Night celebrations in El Gastor
Five Nights of Open-Air Concerts at La Donaira Featuring Julien Brocal (piano) • Julien Libeer (piano) • Camille Thomas (cello) • Caroline Goulding (violin) • Sarah Laulan (mezzo soprano) • Lidy Blijdorp (cello) • Elodie Vignon (piano) • Rosanne Philippens (violin) • Dana Zemtsov (viola) • Laure Stehlin (flute, percussions) • Robin Scott Fleming (guitar, voice, percussion) • Gerald Preinfalk (saxophone) • Damien Westrelin (piano) • Franz Hautzinger (trumpet) • Isabelle Duthoit (clarinet) • Pauline Dufour (visual artist)
Tickets: € 50 • 5-Concert Pass: € 200 • Wine reception & Gourmet tapas. Transport to La Donaira is provided from El Gastor.
Details, Tickets and Accommodation Packages
www.pausefestival.com • [email protected] • Tel +34 615 38 11 19 • Andalucía, Spain
[Distance from Ronda 30min; Malaga 1 hr 40min; Seville 1 hr 20min; Jerez 1 hr ]
- EXPLAINED: The grey skies and punishing hot winds which arrived on Spain’s Costa del Sol today - 12 Jul, 2019 @ 22:06
- Potimarron Message – Fruits from the heart! - 9 Jul, 2019 @ 14:15
- Tai Chi in the river of Happiness with Master Choy - 9 Jul, 2019 @ 13:59
- Two young Brits rescued from ravine after getting lost on Marbella’s La Concha mountain - 8 Jul, 2019 @ 15:57
- That perfect Spanish afternoon can prove more elusive than first thought, writes Lesley Keith - 7 Jul, 2019 @ 12:19
- ‘I will work hard for you’, promises Bill Anderson, the first ever Brit to serve on Mijas Council - 5 Jul, 2019 @ 17:02
- Figuring out your next career move: Where to start from? - 3 Jul, 2019 @ 10:19
- Online Sports Betting in Spain – Where to Play & What’s Legal? - 2 Jul, 2019 @ 09:16
- A secret escape just 10 minutes from the Costa del Sol - 29 Jun, 2019 @ 09:00
- Creative cuisine has finally started to revolutionise the Axarquia and Costa Tropical’s dining scene - 28 Jun, 2019 @ 11:14